This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Programs Won't Launch After Kernel Update

I upgraded to the latest kernel to come down from kubuntu-backports. Did a reboot and now I am having trouble launching programs. I used the terminal to update burg and tried the .22 kernel. Same problem. I click a launcher and see the loading icon on the icon task manager but it goes away after a few min. The only apps that do start are saved from a previous session. I tried to delete the session but removing the session folders contents referenced via Google did not help. Any idea what's wrong?

Sent from my Droid RAZR HD Maxx running AXIOM with Code Kernel
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Ok it seems it is mostly related to KDE apps. Chrome and Vuze, for example, will launc. Gparted will not. However I am not longer able to get a terminal since yakuake wont start now that I am starting form a clean session.
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Finally fixed it! I had to drop down to TTY2(CTRL+ALT+F2), log in, then run "pkill kate" so it seems kate was misbehaving preventing anything KDE related from starting.

Comment

Cool that you got it sorted.

The Kubuntu Backports PPA doesn't provide kernels. The kernel update came from the Ubuntu security repository to fix an iSCSI security vulnerability documented in CVE-2013-2850.

Regarding session health, I find it better to configure KDE to always start with an empty session. If you want certain programs to run each time you log in, create autostart entries for them.

Comment

Working...
        X