This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing the default browser in Thunderbird

I've started using Thunderbird a my email client, but I've found that Firefox seems to be a bit flaky these days, so I'm trying Chrome. The only trouble I'm having is figuring out how to configure Thunderbird to open Chrome when a link in an email is clicked. I looked in the Default applications applet in System settings and it's already set to "chromium-browser", so I don't think that's it.

Does anyone have the magic setting I need to change to make this work?

Thanks.
    Bill Lugg

I think you need the full path in Default Applications. Like "/usr/bin/chromium-browser".

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
      I think you need the full path in Default Applications. Like "/usr/bin/chromium-browser".
      No, I tried that and it doesn't make any difference. Thunderbird doesn't seem to honor the setting in the Default Applications.

I'm assuming there's a setting somewhere in Thunderbird to control this, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Bill Lugg

Comment

System Settings > Default Applications -> Web browser and check in the following browser: and type chromium-browser

Check System Settings -> File Associations -> text -> html > General > Application Preference Order and ensure Chromium Web Browser is at the top of the list.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          System Settings > Default Applications -> Web browser and check in the following browser: and type chromium-browser
          This will work fine on mail clients that are aware of kde settings, but I'm pretty sure thunderbird is not (at least it wasn't a few years ago when I've tried it last).

You'll probably need to tinker with thunderbird's advanced settings to point it to the right browser:
          http://askubuntu.com/questions/13015...ks-in-chromium

Comment

Maybe Changing the Default Browser in Thunderbird on Linux

Comment

This was the ticket. Some of the info was a little out of date, but the xdg-mime approach worked slicker than scum on a Louisiana swamp.

Thanks for the help.

Bill Lugg

Comment

Glad that it contained a solution.

Comment

Working...
                X