Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hibernate button is there in Kubuntu 13.04 but confirmation button outside desktop

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hibernate button is there in Kubuntu 13.04 but confirmation button outside desktop

Dear all

I have installed Kubuntu 13.04 on a XPS13 (Dell). The hibernate button is there in the panel, so that's good. However when I click on the hibernate button (in the panel) it launches a confirmation widget "Do you want to suspend to disk (hibernate)" and only the upper part of the widget is visible, the rest (I guess the Yes or No buttons) lies below the bottom of my screen/desktop so that it is not accessible (and no chance to move it).

(Best would be to show you a snapshot of the screen, but hard to do since I cannot access ksnapshot when the confirmation widget is on...)

I have Kubuntu 13.04 and: Linux pacome 3.8.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 14 22:16:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks for any help you may provide here!

On my desktop, I didn't get a hibernate button, so I made my own, that runs

Code:
    qdbus org.freedesktop.PowerManagement /org/freedesktop PowerManagementorg.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Hibernate
    That command hibernates my desktop, without confirmation. If you want an icon on the panel to do that, right click the K menu, edit applications, and make an item that runs that "command" and save. Then, right click it to add it to the panel.

Regards, and HTH, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the tip!

I had thought of making it appear as an icon. But I thought the present hibernate widget issue is probably a bug and should be solved. Not so important but odd. (if this happens to anybody else, I would be curious to get a way to remove this behaviour)

thanks again: will for sure add the icon on my desktop/panel

Comment

I get the exact same problem

Originally posted by rese1 View Post
        Dear all

I have installed Kubuntu 13.04 on a XPS13 (Dell). The hibernate button is there in the panel, so that's good. However when I click on the hibernate button (in the panel) it launches a confirmation widget "Do you want to suspend to disk (hibernate)" and only the upper part of the widget is visible, the rest (I guess the Yes or No buttons) lies below the bottom of my screen/desktop so that it is not accessible (and no chance to move it).

(Best would be to show you a snapshot of the screen, but hard to do since I cannot access ksnapshot when the confirmation widget is on...)

I have Kubuntu 13.04 and: Linux pacome 3.8.0-21-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Tue May 14 22:16:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

thanks for any help you may provide here!
        I hope someone figures it out.

Comment

Bug still there indeed

Originally posted by phorgan1 View Post
          I hope someone figures it out.
          Well, no activity on this thread since I posted the first one. The problem is still there. Namly the hibernate button launches a widget which is half hidden. So the bug is still there.

Comment

Well, I'll throw something out there... What is your dpi set at (System Settings-->Fonts--->check box Force fonts DPI)?
            I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

thanks.

I had the Force fonts DPI box unchecked, but the underlying number is 96. Should I check that box?

Comment

Ya, and check your font sizes. Most should be at 9 with one or two at 8
                I do not personally use Kubuntu, but I'm the tech support for my daughter who does.

Comment

thanks. But this is the case. The problem does not seem linked to fonts here but really to the fact that the hibernate widget opens at the bottom of the screen and is not movable (it appears as overlapping with the bottom panel). The two options which I guess are "yes" or "no" (cannot see them) are below the screen. This just makes no sense (and really looks like a bug). I am suprised that so few see this problem (or maybe do not use the button).

Comment

Originally posted by Buddlespit View Post
                    Well, I'll throw something out there... What is your dpi set at (System Settings-->Fonts--->check box Force fonts DPI)?
                    I don't have a Fonts under System Settings, but I have System Settings->Common Appearance and Behavior->Application Appearance->Fonts that has such a check box unchecked. Checking it, or unchecking it has no effect, the Suspend and Hibernate buttons open request with buttons off the bottom of the screen. Since the popup also doesn't let me grab and drag the titlebar, I can't pull it up to where I can use it.

Comment

I'm (always) using the Classical K-menu and it has the hibernate button included in the shutdown menu.
                      No separate plasmoid needed.

Comment

Working...
                      X