Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clock widget thinks local time is identical to UTC, and NTP servers won't work

I have three problems which may or may not be related, but probably are since they all have to do with time.

Firstly, if I go into "Date & Time" and try to enable any NTP server (whether from the default list, or one on the local network---this is an office, and we do indeed run an NTP server) I get error messages along the lines of "Unable to contact time server: Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org)."

Secondly, although I have my time set to Edmonton (which is currently, in actual fact, Mountain Daylight Time, ie. MDT) the Clock widget and commandline checks like "uptime" claim the time at this writing is 00:30, which is UTC (right now it's 18:30 MDT). It does this whether or whether not I leave the (failing and constantly alerting me of this) NTP option checkmarked.

Thirdly, if I type "time MDT" into KRunner it gives me yet a third time, this time claiming it's 19:30, yet a third time (and an hour too far).

This is driving me crazy, and either I'm the only one who's ever encountered this or my Google-Fu is too weak. Can anyone help me?

I *may* have fixed most of this this. Seems like in a previous iteration, the ownCloud client decided it needed to pull in "ntp", ie. the ntp server daemon. This running locally may have been messing things up, because having uninstalled it---which uninstalled owncloud-client---and then reinstalling owncloud-client which this time didn't bother asking for "ntp", things seem fine. Well, with the exception of KRunner, which is still off.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
      I have three problems which may or may not be related, but probably are since they all have to do with time.

Firstly, if I go into "Date & Time" and try to enable any NTP server (whether from the default list, or one on the local network---this is an office, and we do indeed run an NTP server) I get error messages along the lines of "Unable to contact time server: Public Time Server (pool.ntp.org)."

Secondly, although I have my time set to Edmonton (which is currently, in actual fact, Mountain Daylight Time, ie. MDT) the Clock widget and commandline checks like "uptime" claim the time at this writing is 00:30, which is UTC (right now it's 18:30 MDT). It does this whether or whether not I leave the (failing and constantly alerting me of this) NTP option checkmarked.

Thirdly, if I type "time MDT" into KRunner it gives me yet a third time, this time claiming it's 19:30, yet a third time (and an hour too far).

This is driving me crazy, and either I'm the only one who's ever encountered this or my Google-Fu is too weak. Can anyone help me?
      KDE has a bug at the moment with ntp time. Odd that trick with the owncloud client worked, good for you. Owncloud's sync client does some funny things.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
        KDE has a bug at the moment with ntp time. Odd that trick with the owncloud client worked, good for you. Owncloud's sync client does some funny things.
        Well . . . it worked for a bit. Now it's wrong again. Arghhh.

Edit: So, KDE has a bug with NTP time at the moment, eh? Re-installing owncloud-client and letting it pull in ntp, then dpkg-reconfiguring tzdata (literally just hitting enter for each option, so re-confirming what it in theory already had things set to) seems to have set everything correctly, with the exception of KRunner. So I guess the workaround for KDE and NTP time is to just run one's own NTP daemon
        Last edited by KeithZG; May 16, 2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

No, KeithZG, you are not crazy and I'm glad you posted this as it's been driving me nuts on my laptop but not my desktop. I just uninstalled everything related to ownCloud on the laptop and am crossing my fingers that this will hold...

Comment

Originally posted by KeithZG View Post
            Well . . . it worked for a bit. Now it's wrong again. Arghhh.

Edit: So, KDE has a bug with NTP time at the moment, eh? Re-installing owncloud-client and letting it pull in ntp, then dpkg-reconfiguring tzdata (literally just hitting enter for each option, so re-confirming what it in theory already had things set to) seems to have set everything correctly, with the exception of KRunner. So I guess the workaround for KDE and NTP time is to just run one's own NTP daemon
            Possibly or you could install 4.10.3. I think they fixed in there.

Comment

Working...
            X