This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting a Barnes & Noble Nook HD to 13.04

I have a Barnes and Noble Nook Color tablet that I've had no problems connecting to Kubuntu in the past. When I would connect it to the computer, both the internal memory and SD card would come up in Dolphin as extra drives, and I could copy files back and forth. Calibre also had no problems detecting it and could write files to the device.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade to the Nook HD. Now when I connect this device to Kubuntu, it comes up as a "Portable Media Player". Calibre is not successful in writing files to it, and throws out the following error every time.

Code:
     Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'SD Card',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
     2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error

Traceback (most recent call last):
       File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 85, in run
       File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 470, in _books
       File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 193, in books
       File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 165, in get_driveinfo
       File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/driver.py", line 156, in _update_drive_info
       File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/base.py", line 24, in synchronizer
       File "site-packages/calibre/devices/mtp/unix/driver.py", line 339, in put_file
     DeviceError: Failed to upload file named: driveinfo.calibre to (u'SD Card',): 2:PTP Layer error 2002: send_file_object_info(): Could not send object info.
     2:Error 2002: PTP: General Error
    When I plugged the Nook into my OpenSUSE 12.3 (with KDE) box, I get the same error.

Rebooting and switching over to Windows 7 comes up without a problem.

I don't have any Gnome or other systems loaded, so I can't test it. I guess I could download Mint and test it out in a virtual machine.

Since it seems to be a KDE problem, is there something I can load/install to get it to work in KDE?

Thanks!

I am having a similar problem, essentially the same problem. For some reason, Android/Google has dumped USB Mass Storage in JB in favour of MTP which was developed by Microsoft. Now MTP should work out of the box in Raring according to a bug in launchpad(do not have the url any more sadly), but that's not the case for me on my Droid Razr HD. I have tried to follow the advice here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3401&nocache=1
    I am now able to mount my device, but it is read only. I suspect I have one of the ID's for the udev rules wrong.

You may want to try the package from the webupd8 ppa and see how it works for you.
    Last edited by Xplorer4x4; May 10, 2013, 07:10 PM.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Wikipedia tells me Nooks now have access to Google Play; if this means you can run android apps you can find there, install Airdroid and forget the cable hassles. You use your browser to look inside the device. Works really well using a wireless connection.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        Wikipedia tells me Nooks now have access to Google Play; if this means you can run android apps you can find there, install Airdroid and forget the cable hassles. You use your browser to look inside the device. Works really well using a wireless connection.

Regards, John Little
        Airdroid is a great utility. I use it to text from my desktop some times, but for large data transfers, nothing beats a cable. For example transferring a few FLAC albums from my desktop to my droid, a cable is a must.
        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
        PSU: Corsair 520HX
        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Working...
        X