X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox problem after upgrade to 13.04

Hi,
    few days ago I upgraded to 13.04. I had a problem with installing Firefox on one of my machines and got following message:

Code:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_20.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.3_i386.deb
    Chyba: trying to overwrite '/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop', which is also in package kubuntu-firefox-installer 12.04ubuntu1
    Which I later solved by deleting the firefox.desktop from /usr/share/applications/. However there was also problem with the firefox-globalmenu package. I found this advice somewhere in the Internet:

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i --force-overwrite /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_20.0+build1-0ubuntu0.12.10.3_i386.deb
    sudo apt-get install -f
    And all looked to be OK.

However, from the upgrade I often have the same issue - after some time Firefox freezes - the window is blank - only background window colored rectangle, no response. When I try to close it from taskbar it says that app is not responding and offers to close it (luckily it works). After Firefox restart it is OK, but after some time the issue appears again.
    I checked ksysguard and firefox is seems not to consume any CPU capacity, but only some RAM.

I faced this problem while uploading to Youtube, but I left it be and upload was successful after some time (checked via Opera) so Firefox core is maybe working but not the GUI. I already tried uninstall and cleanup (did not delete the settings folder in /home) but no progress...

any idea what could be wrong?

thanks
    Dell Latitude E5510, Intel i3, Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus (LTS)

I didn't have any problems with installing Firefox, but the global menubar plugin is designed for Unity and has always been funky on KDE for me, it somehow blocks popup menus. Just turning that addon off and keeping Firefox with its own menubar seems to be the easiest way to get by that.

The freezsing issue I have as well since 13.04, I read a bit about it and it seems to be a bugg everybody is experiencing - Has some connection to the GTK-Oxygen theme engine. The easiest way to get around it is to select another engine for GTK apps.

This is alright to do for Firefox since Firefox is themable, but for the rest of our GTK apps it has a bigger impact since we might have to look at something which might be less pretty than Oxygen.
    Last edited by hackan301; May 03, 2013, 04:38 AM. Reason: misspell

Comment

The freezing issue seems to happen to me only when I change wallpaper or fonts and such. I just make sure FF is not running when I do it. Annoying, but seems like an OK workaround for me.

Comment

Ah ok, interesting. I have my desktop set on slideshow so for me it seemed Firefox froze up by itself.

Comment

Working...
        X