This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Date and Time setting

Since I did a fresh 13.04 install yesterday I have installed the digital clock widget in my panel. I right click to adjust the date and time and the proper component of system settings shows up. I select set date and time automatically and accept the default time server. When I click apply I get a pause for several seconds, the set date and time automatically deselects and I'm stuck with no change. The same thing happens under the system settings -> date and time option.

Also, if I try to select the Canada holiday calendar it will not select and if I try to select my time zone it automatically deselects it and goes to UTC>

I can vaguely remember something like this a "long" time ago, but can't locate any help. Does anyone else see this?
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Originally posted by Calgarian View Post
    Since I did a fresh 13.04 install yesterday I have installed the digital clock widget in my panel. I right click to adjust the date and time and the proper component of system settings shows up. I select set date and time automatically and accept the default time server. When I click apply I get a pause for several seconds, the set date and time automatically deselects and I'm stuck with no change. The same thing happens under the system settings -> date and time option.

Also, if I try to select the Canada holiday calendar it will not select and if I try to select my time zone it automatically deselects it and goes to UTC>

I can vaguely remember something like this a "long" time ago, but can't locate any help. Does anyone else see this?
    First, sorry for my very bad english.
    I have the same problem. I found the file "/etc/localtime" is corrupted because linked to a wrong position.
    So I remade the file "/etc/localtime" linked to "usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/Europe/Rome" and now the clock displays correct time.
    If i change the localtime trough Systemsetting / Date and Time then clock display UTC time and the file "etc/localtime" is again corrupted.

hope to help you

Comment

Originally posted by lorant78 View Post
      First, sorry for my very bad english.
      I have the same problem. I found the file "/etc/localtime" is corrupted because linked to a wrong position.
      So I remade the file "/etc/localtime" linked to "usr/share/zoneinfo/posix/Europe/Rome" and now the clock displays correct time.
      If i change the localtime trough Systemsetting / Date and Time then clock display UTC time and the file "etc/localtime" is again corrupted.

hope to help you
      STOP. DO NOT FOLOW THIS ADVICE. All you need to do is scroll over the clock, it should scroll between UTC and your selected time zones. Try that first.

Comment

Is it possible that a missing system tray is the issue? I have a panel, but it seems to be a plasma ppanel only for widgets? I don't have the network connection widget, or the clock, or the normal K menu, and I don't see running applications in the panel that I hyave?

Comment

If the scrolling over the time dones't help, try this:

$sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
          $sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org

Help me adjust the clock and keep in on the right time

Comment

The two konsole commands appear to have worked. Thanks Stosskraft. And I found my system tray by doing a right click on the bare desktop and selecting ->Add Panel->Default.

Comment

Working...
            X