X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant access the monitor display settings

Hey there!

I upgraded my Kubuntu last night and now I can no longer change my display settings. I have a dual monitor setup which will now only display as clones. Before the upgrade I could go to the system settings and change the settings under "Display and Monitor". Now all I get is the settings for the screen saver. I can type "Screen" in the search bar and find the right entry, but when I open "Display Settings" it just gives me an empty window with no options.
    This is kind of a deal breaker for me. I really need both monitors. Help please!

Cheers,
    Robert

Install either kscreen, seems to be the new default, or kde-workspace-randr

Comment

What make of video card are you using and have you since done other updates that could have fixed the issue?
      B.t.w, the looks of this particular screen (Screen settings) have recently been changed/simplified.

Comment

Its an Nvidia Geforce Something and as far as Updates that was basically the first thing I did after the new version of Kubuntu was installed.
        I checked the package manager, did all the updates and I opened the terminal and typed in that sudo Update thingy.
        Well, now I can't even start Kubuntu any longer. It just sits at the start screen with the new Kubunto Logo and that's how far I get.
        Any suggestions?

Comment

When I ran into similar earlier today I was able to get further by selecting an older kernel version.

Back to the screen(s), providing your video card is not ancient I'd recommend using the proprietary drivers and configuration utility.

Comment

Cool, but how do I select an older kernel version or do anything for that matter, if the OS won't even boot? I noticed that the new Kubunto logo has a glowing pulse animation. The logo will show up and after about three animation cycles, it just freezes. The cpu doesn't seem to be doing anything either.

Comment

Ah it fails That early!

Pressing Esc early on should show some more informative screen output.

Comment

All right, I pressed ESC and I get a long list of starting services (or whatever the linux equivalent is called in this case). All of them get an OK flag, except for two items in the list:
                1. Restore sound cards mixer states
                2. Reload cups
                Both of these have a Failed flag.
                The list then ends with "Stopping" and that's when everything freezes up.
                I'm wondering isn't there any way to revert everything back to and older state, similar to Windows's Recovery Feature? Everything was working just fine until I upgraded.

Comment

There are a few ways to get on.

First you could at the Grub screen select the recovery mode and see if that gets you to a log-in.
                  Next you would want to do an udate/upgrade.
                  The other is to start up with a Live USB or CD and rename the ~/.kde directory.
                  That way all your present settings are ignored and a new default one is made.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for all the help, but I gave up. I reached the point where figuring out how to fix this issue was taking up more time than just reinstalling the whole sucker. So I did the latter. Wiped the partition and installed a fresh Kubuntu and now everything works. I know this is a terrible way of solving problems, but I just got too fed up in the end.

Comment

Working...
                    X