Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using 13.04, "new version of Kubuntu is available" - is 13.10 ready?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using 13.04, "new version of Kubuntu is available" - is 13.10 ready?

Evening all,

When I turned on my laptop today I was notified that a new version of Kubuntu is available. I'm currently running 13.04, so is this new version 13.10? Or is it 13.04.2 or something like that? I was under the impression that 13.10 is still being tested, and a quick look at the Kubuntu download page shows no sign of a stable 13.10.

The latest release mentioned on the news page is "13.10 Beta 1".

Anyone know what's going on? AFAIK I shouldn't be getting prompts to install beta versions

Feathers
    samhobbs.co.uk

Saucy schedule : https://wiki.kubuntu.org/SaucySalama...eleaseSchedule
    September 26th Final Beta

October 10th FinalFreeze, ReleaseCandidate, LanguagePackTranslationDeadline

October 17th FinalRelease Ubuntu 13.10
    Ubuntu naming: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DevelopmentCodeNames
    The official name of an Ubuntu release is "Ubuntu X.YY" with X representing the year (minus 2000) and YY representing the month of eventual release within in that year. Ubuntu's first release, made in 2004 October (10th month) was Ubuntu 4.10...

Well - my 13.10 installation was yesterday notifying that there is a new Kubuntu version available - 14.04 ?
    Last edited by Rog132; Sep 17, 2013, 02:36 PM.
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks. So if it's not 13.10, what is it?

Feathers
      samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

likely it is 13.10. While it is not released yet, it is possible to upgrade to it (for testing the process) but it requires a specific command. Likely the system that looks for new versions, or a server that provides updates has a bug. If it persists after an update or 2, you can turn off or modify the settings for this in Muon Package Manager's Software Sources configs area.

Comment

Thanks.

I'll just ignore it for now, until a stable version of 13.10 is released.

If it chooses to remind me every day I'll change the config.

Feathers
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

I'm on 13.10 right now, and have been for weeks. After I figured out nouveau settings in .config, it is rock solid. I re-install at least once a week if not more, and 13.10 runs more like stable release then a testing. Ubuntu-whatever has major problems - Unity, GNOME, etc. I can't remember the last time I had any indication of crashes or errors on this Kubuntu . Only in the very beginning were their issues and mostly trying to figure out nouveau.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

I have "Distribution upgrades" checked for notifications in Muon Preferences - Muon Package Manager, but I haven't received that notification at all.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X