This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turn on encryption post install?

When I installed Kubuntu 13.04, I opted not to encrypt any of my data. If I remember right, there were the options of 1. encrypt just your home folder, 2. encrypt all of the operating system and home folder or 3. no encryption of anything. I chose three.

Can I change my choice after the fact? Big brother is so over our stinkin' shoulders these days I think I just want to encrypt everything. I know I'll be careful and not forget my password. My most sensitive data I've been encrypting on a thumb drive (in ext4 format) with TrueCrypt. However, I printed a page from that for one person I really trust. Then I looked up how to check out my print spool and guess what I found in there!? There was the secret document unencrypted right there in the print spool. So I used an app named Bleachbit to wipe it out.

My preference would be to make it an absolute beast for anyone to get any info from this laptop should they, god forbid, steal it. I know not to trust anything under Windows. There's a tool you can download that you boot to and it figures out the Windows password. That blew my mind. Even if somehow you couldn't get the Windows password, you could just install the hard drive into another PC and hunt around.

I'm hoping Kubuntu is different. Encrypt all that stuff and make data mining a beast for any unauthorized person.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

maby this will help , I have never tryed it , so use at your own risk

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Po...tionEncryption

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm not sure where the print spool is located but in case it's not in the users directory it'll still have the problem of keeping an unencrypted copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        I'm not sure where the print spool is located but in case it's not in the users directory it'll still have the problem of keeping an unencrypted copy.
        However, you can encrypt the entire Linux-formatted hard drive, right?

On the other hand, I've made it a habit to use Bleachbit to shred any print spool document that might be sensitive in nature. Btw, the print spool is located in Kubuntu (and probably other distros) in:
        /var/spool/cups
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

Working...
        X