Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only diagonal lines after install or cd boot.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only diagonal lines after install or cd boot.

Release: Kubuntu 13.04
    Not installed inside Windows
    KDE Version: Never got to a usable desktop
    Grub 2
    Other OS: Windows 7 32bit

Type: Desktop
    CPU: AMD 64bit
    GPU: NVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    RAM: 2GB
    HD: 1 Internal
    OD: 1 Internal
    Last edited by SavannahKayaker; Sep 01, 2013, 06:44 PM. Reason: New info

Seems to work with cold boot. I have gotten to a desktop after the computer has been off for awhile. Could this mean my video card, built into the motherboard, is going or some issue with Nvidia and Kubuntu? Windows 7 boots and displays fine.

Comment

I have the exact same graphics card, and I too have experience the same results.
      The first solution is to add "modeset=0" at the end of the linux line in grub.

I didn't do anything else except change my system settings. At some point I didn't need "modeset=o". What I did after that was a series of eliminations.
      I ended up after Kubuntu was installed to save my ".kde" folder. Then when I reinstall Kubuntu, and using that folder, I never have issues again.

I haven't gotten around to determine what file inside kde folder is the culprit.

Another trick I first used, was just before Kubuntu gets to the 5th icon, I go into a virtual terminal. then wait until it boots and ctrl+alt+f7 shows it booted up ok. My thinking at the time was a race condition.

Try the "modeset=0", and see if that gets you to the desktop.

edit: I also noticed that after you get that scrambled display, the computer is totally frozen. Nothing but a power off works. Afterwards though, on second boot the display works - but not always.

That's when I saved my kde folder and now it works every time. I'm using 13.10 and at least 2 or 3 times a week re-install from the latest ISO that I have been zsync'ing.
      Last edited by verndog; Sep 02, 2013, 10:12 AM.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

Verndog,
        I am very new to Linux and appreciate your help but would like to know exactly how to set modset=0

Comment

When you are presented with the grub menu screen, press 'e' on the one your trying to boot.
          Using your 'arrow' keys go down to the line that starts with the name 'linux'.
          Then hit the 'End' key, go using 'arrow' key go to the end of the line.
          Type a space and then type: modeset=0, then hit the 'F10' key and see if it boots up ok.
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Got the lines after doing that. Any other ideas? I do appreciate your help.

Comment

Got it to work using nomodeset instead of modeset=0. Just need to know how to edit grub to make it stick.

Comment

Press Alt+F2. Type kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub and then look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and add nomodeset to the end before the final ".
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

SavannahKayaker , I'm surprised that modeset=0 didn't work. Although, I'm using 13.10, and it works great. The problem with using nomodeset is limited resolution. Make sure its modeset=0 and not nomodeset=0.
                  Boot Info Script

Comment

Many thanks dog and hog.

Comment

I"ll try the first one again before I make a permanent change. When I booted with nomodeset I didn't notice anything changed. But as I said I am new. Thanks again.

Comment

My question would be which video driver you are using, I noticed the latest have more options.

Comment

Do I have to update grub to make this work with a reboot. I have been reading about how to do this and have created a root user password. I've tried update-grub from the root directory but I get a fail nomodeset. I am now downloading Kubuntu 13.10. I'm hoping this might help. If I can't get this to boot correctly it might be back to Ubuntu but I really like the Kubuntu KDE desktop and really dislike the new Ubuntu tablet friendly desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                            My question would be which video driver you are using, I noticed the latest have more options.
                            How would I find out what video driver I am using. I installed Kubuntu 13.10 and have the same problem. I can only get to a desktop by using nomodeset at the grub menu.

Comment

You've already done this:
                              Press Alt+F2. Type kdesudo kate /etc/default/grub and then look for the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT= and add nomodeset to the end before the final ".
                              So, now, open a console and type:
                              Code:
                              sudo update-grub2
                              When it finishes, close the console and shutdown/reboot.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X