X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could not install "grub.efi" Error by the installation

Dear Mates and supporters

Premise:
    Hardware= Notebook A55VD with preinstalled Win8 on 750 GB HDD. Win8 partition shrinked to ca. 100 GB the rest is NTFS for data exchange/storage.
    HDD replaced through an SSD 128 GB. HDD will be connected through an SATA3-USB3 adaptor in case of need.
    SSD partitions= sda1 ESP 1 GB FAT32 boot-flag UUID EF00 through gdisk, sda2 Swap 12 GB, the rest Ext4 for Kubuntu.
    All folder and files from HDD/ESP copied to new 1GB SSD/ESP.
    All fast start in Win8 and UEFI deactivated. USB-stick made with Unetbootin and started in UEFI-mode.

by the installation of Kubuntu 13.04 I got following Error that break/interrupt the installation:
    Code:
    Das Paket >>grub.efi<< konnte nicht in /target/ installiert werden. Ohne den GRUB-Bootloader wird das installierte System nicht booten
    Translated mean
    Code:
    The package >>grub.efi<< could not be installed  in the /target/. Without GRUB-bootloader, the installed system could not be started
    I tried to install the Bootloader everywhere but always got the same error/or similar.

Through the "chroot-method" I discover that "grub-pc" instead of "grub.efi" was effectively installed. So I uninstall/purge/delete "grub-pc" and install "grub.efi", besides I made "update, upgrade, dist-upgrade, grub-update" and here the konsole show me also the presence of Win8. In conclusion Kubuntu is there ready to go but cannot be started cause of missing bootloader.

If I mount the ESP-partition I can see (regarding Linux) only one folder with one file:
    Code:
    /dev/sda1/EFI/Kubuntu/grubx64.efi
    How can I remedy this mistake, installing grub-bootloader in ESP and let recognize it by UEFI?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

EDIT1:
    Copied "/boot/grub/" to "dev/sda1/EFI/Grub2/"
    Have installed "efibootmgr" & tried to add two entries
    Code:
    sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l \\EFI\\Grub2\\grub.efi -L Grub2
    sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -l \\EFI\\Kubuntu\\grubx64.efi -L Grub2
    That not working, the command "sudo efibootmgr -v" don't show new entries
    Even with EUFI-Shell is not working.
    Code:
    fs0:\EFI\Grub2\grub.efi
    fs0:\EFI\Kubuntu\grubx64.efi
    EDIT2:
    Finally was I able to insert the two new entries through UEFI-shell, besides use the occasion to update the notebook-BIOS.
    Nonetheless are the two new entries not starting. When try to start "Grub2" or "Kubuntu" UEFI coming back always to menu-choice

Missing something? img-files? and where to insert them?
    Last edited by Arny006; Aug 26, 2013, 02:03 PM.
Working...
X