This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4.11 update logs in to black screen

Last night I had the laptop upgrade to the new KDE4.11, the hotel WIFI is terribly slow but it ran successfully during the night.
    This morning Muon was waiting with a question about KDM and Lightdm, I have both installed but the past weeks I've been using KDEM.
    I clicked the continue with KDM (or so...) and the upgrade was completed.
    A reboot showed Smooth Tasks was missing and Muon reported an incompatibility so I reinstated the regular task manager.

During the day I have started the computer at least twice and without issues.
    Upon coming back into the hotel I investigated the dependency problem with Smooth Tasks and found a lib with two versions available. (libtaskmanager4abi3&4)
    I installed the most recent plus Smooth Tasks, rebooted and the login ended in a black screen.

Some mucking around in a terminal brought me to try
    Code:
    sudo startx
    and the desktop reappeared!
    A new reboot and although slow, I was able to log in properly.
    But several Plasmoids like Luna and a simple system load applet were missing.

Smooth Tasks is also missing, I'll wait to try that one again
    Muon reports it is conflicting with plasma-widget-smooth-tasks...

Running your desktop as root is likely to cause problems... http://superuser.com/questions/40018...er-sudo-startx

I think you'll have to stop using plasma-widget-smooth-tasks. Observe:
    Code:
    teve@t520:~$ [B]aptitude -s install plasma-widget-smooth-tasks[/B]
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libtaskmanager4abi3{ab} plasma-widget-smooth-tasks 
    0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 435 kB of archives. After unpacking 1,412 kB will be used.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
     libtaskmanager4abi3 : Depends: libprocesscore4abi1 [B][COLOR="#B22222"](= 4:4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1)[/COLOR][/B] but 4:4.11.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu13.04~ppa1 is installed.
    In KDE 4.11, the version of libprocesscore4ab1 is newer, while libtaskmanager4abi3 specifically depends on an older one.

Comment

Yes I would under normal circumstances never run the desktop with a sudo but under circumstances it did the trick.
      In hindsight I might also have tried deleting the plasma section in ~/.kde

Right now there is another 'circular' dependency issue with lsb-core...

Comment

The dependency problem in lbs-core was just fixed when new packages became available.

It's years ago I've experienced these types of problems.

Comment

Yeah, this latest KDE update seems to exhibit a few more foibles than previous ones. Nothing too challenging.

Comment

Smooth tasks is now insalling without broken dependencies.
            All is well with this 4.11

Comment

Working...
            X