This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken initramfs

I just installed onto LUKS-encrypted LVM on a GPT table. I can't figure out how to correct initramfs so it will boot everything up. I already reinstalled lvm2 and cryptsetup using a live CD. update-initramfs does nothing. This is the message I'm getting right now:

Code:
    Gave up waiting for root device. Common problems:
    – Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
    – Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
    – Check root= (did the system wait for the right device?)
    –Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
    ALERT! /dev/mapper/vg1-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.20.2 (Ubuntu 1:1.20.0-8ubuntu1) built-in shell (ash)
    Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs) _
    I'm only able to get to this initramfs shell, so anything I do is through the live CD. Help?

I have the same issue, also with a LUKS encrypted LVM GTP setup. I was able to boot an old kernel and initramfs from grub and will backup that configuration now. I suggest you try the same and I'd be very happy if you left a message here if you find a permanent solution - I will do the same.

Henrik

Comment

Henrik, I unfortunately don't have any old kernels to boot into since this was a new installation. I just installed Arch (successfully) onto my main box using this same setup, but Arch's initramfs files are quite a bit different from K/ubuntu's. I will definitely post back if I figure it out though.

Comment

So I fixed my issue. I actually reinstalled and copied etc and home from a backup to get rid of a big swap partition in the setup. I replaced fstab but missed replacing crypttab causing disk decryption to be broken (wrong device name and uuid in crypttab). Have you checked whether or not crypttab is correct?

Henrik

Comment

Working...
        X