Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox and Thunderbird freezing/running slow on Kubuntu 13.04? Here's a possible fix

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox and Thunderbird freezing/running slow on Kubuntu 13.04? Here's a possible fix

If you're like me, you use Firefox and Thunderbird *a lot*. There is a bug in the gtk2-engines-oxygen package which causes these two Mozilla-distributed applications to freeze unexpectedly or run unacceptably slowly in Kubuntu Raring. Some people have tried switching to other GTK themes to alleviate the problem. I tried using Raleigh and it helped with the freezing, but not the slowness. (Also, Raleigh is ugly compared to Oxygen).

Thankfully, Petr Sedlacek (petr-sedlacek) has made available a .deb with an updated gtk2-engines-oxygen package for 64-bit systems that makes this problem go away. It's worked for several people subscribed to the bug on Launchpad and it definitely worked for me.

Get it here:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ched_amd64.deb

Just download, install the package, and restart your system. You should see a noticeable improvement with both Firefox and Thunderbird.

Hope this helps someone. This issue was extremely frustrating to me and it's nice to be able to move on with a stable system.
Working...
X