This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot speed

I have two partitions on a test computer, one with Ubuntu 13.04, the other with Kubuntu 13.04. The Ubuntu 13.04 boots in 14 seconds. The Kubuntu version takes 27 seconds Any thoughts on what Ubuntu is doing different?

As a side note, I notice that once Unity loads, it isn't finished, stuff is still loading in the background. Is it possible to do this with KDE, too?

Other than the boot speed difference, Kubuntu is running great!

Install bootchart on both partitions and compare the graphs.

My 13.04 install boots in around 10 sec...a hair faster than 12.10.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Install bootchart on both partitions and compare the graphs.

My 13.04 install boots in around 10 sec...a hair faster than 12.10.
      I'm actually in the process of doing that. However, that doesn't explain the differences in the time it takes the various components to load. What I was hoping for was a quick configuration setting that could be applied. The good news is that once loaded, Kubuntu runs significantly faster and with fewer resources than Unity. On a different setup, an Asus eeePC with 1GB ram and an atom processor, I've got three partitions: Kubuntu, Ubuntu and Ubuntu-Gnome. Kubuntu is by far the fastest. UG is quite acceptable and Unity is very sluggish. I imagine the Unity issue has to do with the intel graphics and compiz, but the others don't seem to be affected. On this machine, surprisingly, the boot times are all withing 4 seconds of each other, but Unity is still the fastest booting.

Comment

http://dantti.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/1-2-3-plasma/
        Good description of why you see this, as well as a new alternative process, plus good discussion in the comments.

Also maybe:
        http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f...01038&start=15

I tell you, an ssd on my old laptop cuts boot time down to BANG! Let's GO! . I bought a cheap, closeout 64gb that was the same price as the small spinning drive I was going to purchase at my local Staples.
        Last edited by claydoh; May 07, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
          I have two partitions on a test computer, one with Ubuntu 13.04, the other with Kubuntu 13.04. The Ubuntu 13.04 boots in 14 seconds. The Kubuntu version takes 27 seconds Any thoughts on what Ubuntu is doing different?

As a side note, I notice that once Unity loads, it isn't finished, stuff is still loading in the background. Is it possible to do this with KDE, too?

Other than the boot speed difference, Kubuntu is running great!
          Do you have an SSD? If yes, then that 14 seconds should also be very worrying. Even a half decent SSD should yield sub 10s boot speeds. The Kubuntu/Ubuntu difference is hard to explain. Do you have a different set of services running on each install? Also KDE takes long to login but that isn't boot speed. Booting is from GRUB to Login.

Comment

Assuming we are talking about a hit-power-button-to desktop boot, there generally should be little to no difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu until one gets to the lightdm/kdm/gdm stage. KDE simply takes longer to load than Ubuntu.

Some things that can add to this are:
            • number of widgets loaded

• number of Activities opened during login

• Setting the network connection as a "system connection" (ie loaded before user login)
            • extras such as dropbox, etc loading post-login.

Comment

The issue is from hitting enter on the grub menu until lightdm/kdm loads. Ubuntu/lightdm is loading in 14 seconds, Kubuntu/kdm is taking 27 seconds. As for SSD, no, this is a good old magnetic drive, exact same drive as both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are on different partitions on the same drive.

I have not finished my bootchart work, but there seems to be two second pause between grub and the kubuntu splash screen that does not happen on Ubuntu, but that is just a small part of the difference.

Comment

The issue is from hitting enter on the grub menu until lightdm/kdm loads. Ubuntu/lightdm is loading in 14 seconds, Kubuntu/kdm is taking 27 seconds. As for SSD, no, this is a good old magnetic drive, exact same drive as both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are on different partitions on the same drive.

I have not finished my bootchart work, but there seems to be two second pause between grub and the kubuntu splash screen that does not happen on Ubuntu, but that is just a small part of the difference.
                First step to speeding up boots is usually disabling Plymouth. First generate a complete boot chart for us to look at then we can sort you out properly.

Comment

I dont remember where exactly, but there is some grub setting that defines the pause at grub. Default is 2 seconds. Im not on my Kubuntu machine now, but Ill have a look later.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                    I dont remember where exactly, but there is some grub setting that defines the pause at grub. Default is 2 seconds. Im not on my Kubuntu machine now, but Ill have a look later.
                    Yeah, it exists to give the animation time to finish but if his boot-up is 27 seconds there must be a much larger issue at hand.

Comment

Working...
                    X