This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installation hangs or faulty

After installing on my desktop, I thought it was time to tackle the laptop installation.

First time, the installation hung at the "Retreiving 40 of 102 (10%)" stage. Zero activity. flat out hung.

Second time the installation finished. Thought something was wierd though since there was no retreival stage. Found out why - very little actually worked. Spent hours trouble shooting and installing missing packages and got a few things working, but it was a losing battle.

Tried installing a third time. Same as first time.

Fourth time repeated the second install.

Have finally just dropped back and installed 12.10 from a LiveCD. That seems to have worked.

Will configure and update and upgrade and get the basics working.

Then try an upgrade to 13.04.

If that works, then I'll have 13.04 working on both the desktop and the laptop. Then I can upgrade to 13.10 when that happens. I stayed with 12.04 when 12.10 came out and debated upgrading then, but didn't need th hassle at the time. Now I'm thinking it could have been a mistake not to upgrade when 12.10 came out. It used to be that upgrades didn't work too well, maybe that has been fixed?

This used to happen with LiveCD installations, but I hoped that the installation process had been fixed. The desktop install gave me hope. The laptop install dashed those hopes. There used to be an alternative installion CD that I could download - that seems to have disappeared. In some ways I'm amazed that the installion works as well as it seems to for as many people as it does, given the vast variety of computer systems the installation has to accomodate.

Postscript: I have heard that some people do not trust the GUI update/upgrade process - bad experiences. They much prefer the 'agt-get' terminal route. Any comments on this? What specific agt-get commands would be needed for that method??
    Last edited by geezer; May 06, 2013, 12:13 PM. Reason: PS added

Hi Geezer,

Sorry to hear that you had problems with upgrading. I upgraded one of my machines to 13.04 (not my main) and it all worked well.. maybe it was just dumb luck

At any rate... here are the apt commands to do the update:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    cheers
    bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
      Postscript: I have heard that some people do not trust the GUI update/upgrade process - bad experiences. They much prefer the 'agt-get' terminal route. Any comments on this? What specific agt-get commands would be needed for that method??
      After reinstalling 12.10 (and KDE 4.10.1), ensure that it is fully and completely dist-upraged. Yes, many prefer to use the console (I do). Open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      When finished, reboot (may not really be necessary, but...). When logged back in and on the Desktop, open Muon Package Manager and ensure that that Release Upgrade is set to Normal Releases. (Settings > Configure Software Sources > Updates)

Close Muon Package Manager when finished. Open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo do-release-upgrade
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X