This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No networking after 13.04 upgrade

After upgrade to Kubuntu Raring Ringtail 13.04 on my Dell Inspiron 1501, i am experiencing networking problem: neither device eth0 nor wlan0 are found and the network cannot be accessed.

Everything perfectly worked with Quantal Quetzal 12.10.

Thank you for the help.

A good place to start might be to make sure your controllers are showing up in the hardware list. The following should show you your ethernet controllers: (Here's an example from my system.)

Code:
    bweinel@excalibur:~$ lspci | grep Ethernet
    01:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    If you found it there.. next look at the persistent-net rules to see if the system assigned them drivers:

Code:
    bweinel@excalibur:~$ cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

# PCI device 0x10ec:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1e.0/0000:01:01.0 (8139too)
    SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*", ATTR{address}=="00:01:6c:cf:3e:d4", ATTR{dev_id}=="0x0", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*", NAME="eth0"
    On my system that shows that the kernel assigned the PCI device 01:01.0 to the net subsystem, set the mac address, and assigned it to eth0.

If all this is good.. next check to see if you got an IP address:

Code:
    bweinel@excalibur:~$ ifconfig
    eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:6c:cf:3e:d4  
              inet addr:192.168.0.3  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
              inet6 addr: fe80::201:6cff:fecf:3ed4/64 Scope:Link
              UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
              RX packets:15376 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:11901 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
              RX bytes:11342692 (11.3 MB)  TX bytes:3379769 (3.3 MB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
              inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
              inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
              UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
              RX packets:960 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
              TX packets:960 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
              collisions:0 txqueuelen:0 
              RX bytes:100269 (100.2 KB)  TX bytes:100269 (100.2 KB)
    As you can see from my system, eth0 got Ip address 192.168.0.3. If you don't have an address here but everything else looked good, then it's likely a NetworkManager configuration issue. Check for the NetworkManager icon in your system tray and left click it. Goto network management settings, select the wired (or wireless) tab, select the connection(left click), then click the edit button. You should be able to set up your connection at that point.

Hopefully this will help you in troubleshooting what went wrong without reinventing the wheel.

cheers,
    bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Thank you Bill,

1° step, lspci: the LAN contreller is OK (Broadcom ...)

2° step, persistent net rules: the drivers are correctly assigned.

but no IP got from the DHCP server: at "ifconfig" command just "lo" (i.e. 127.0.0.1, loopback) is reported.

As You suggested, i' ve tried to configure the Network Management Setting, but in the Wired Tab there is no Network Connection record, nor the possibility to add one (grey Add button); the same applies to the Wireless Tab.

Thank you again,

Fabrizio

Comment

Hi Fabrizio,

First off, just to check the obvious... Have you verified that your network DNS server is still working properly and handing out addresses on your subnet? If this is ok... it sounds like everything in the basic kubuntu networking is working properly. However I am still puzzled that your not able to change things in NetworkManager.

A good possibility for this issue is problems with the 13.04 kernel with certain Broadcom hardware. A quick search of launchpad turned up the following items:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1169653
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1110139

According to the reports there, it appears that there have been no fixes for these yet.

The following report also seems to be with the exact same issue you have been experiencing:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/28673...-kernel-source

This all makes me think that there may be a kernel bug causing your main problem.

If you wish to continue looking into the NetworkManager widget issue... read on...

The fact that networkmanager isn't allowing you to change anything is odd... Take a look in your /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf file at the [main] section plugins line to make sure it says "plugins=ifupdown,keyfile". It should look something like this (other than your MAC address will be different) :

Code:
        [main]
        plugins=ifupdown,keyfile
        dns=dnsmasq

no-auto-default=00:01:6C:CF:3E:D4,

[ifupdown]
        managed=false
        It is possible that the 'keyfile' plugin statement may be missing (thats the program which allows NetworkManager to write and edit changes. to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections.

If this looks ok... check the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections subdirectory for the correct permissions. It should be as follows:

Code:
        bweinel@excalibur:/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections$ ls -al
        total 12
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb  8 17:32 .
        drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Apr 29 11:08 ..
        -rw------- 1 root root  320 Feb  8 17:32 Wired connection 1
        It should be owned by user root group root and read/execute by the group and everyone.

Finally in the /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/ directory should be a file for each of your connections. My 'Wired connection 1" file looks like this:

Code:
        [802-3-ethernet]
        port=mii
        mac-address=00:01:6C:CF:3E:D4

[connection]
        id=Wired connection 1
        uuid=eed3ded8-b66b-4ba5-962e-cdbda3c05c2c
        type=802-3-ethernet
        timestamp=1360362701
        zone=

[ipv6]
        method=ignore

[ipv4]
        method=manual
        dns=192.168.0.254;24.25.5.61;24.25.5.60;
        addresses1=192.168.0.3;24;192.168.0.1;
        may-fail=false
        For more detailed information on all this see "man 8 NetworkManager" and "man 5 NetworkManager.conf" at your konsole prompt or https://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/SystemSettings.

cheers,
        bill
        Last edited by bweinel; May 06, 2013, 06:52 AM.
        sigpic
        A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

I have the same problem that Fabrizio has, but with a little older notebook of the same serie (Vostro 1000).

I have a broadcom coorporation BCM4401-BO 100Base-TX (rev 2) properly detected, but the file NetworkManager.conf has no line "no-auto-default" and n connections.
          Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Today, I went back to 12.04 and after some post-installation configuration, I managed my wireless and ethernet cards to work.
            Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Hi everyone,

had a similar problem after upgrading to 13.04 , neither wireless nor wired internet working, in KMenu-->Systemeinstellungen (System settings?)--> Networking the wired and wireless tabs were light grey and not excitable.

I solved the problem yesterday, but am not at my machine at the moment, but thought with internet connection beeing kind of an urgend problem, i just report here out of memory, will come back and edit the post to be more explicit later. Sorry for the fuzzyness at the moment.

Problem describtion:
              wireless and wired internet not working after Kubuntu upgrade

lspci showed my networking modules, showing both the ethernet and wlan card correctly.
              persistent net rules showed a similar entry than above posted, but i wasn't too sure what should be shown. I am absolutly no computer/linux/Kubuntu pro, so most of the things don't mean anything to me.
              iwconfig did not show any wireless extensions

My computer is a Dell vostro 100, with a Broadcom BCM 4311 wireless card (there was another description where the ID is 4312), and also a Broadcom ethernet card. If i remember they both had drivers assigned in
              lshw configuration= .... driver=...

Solution:
              Uninstall the bcm-kernel-package

With the driver for the wireless card beeing wl, for the ethernet b44. This seemed to be the cause of the problem, because the moment i uninstalled the bcm-kernel-package using the muon packetmanager and searching for bcm, ethernet started working. With a connection to the internet now, i was able to easily install the b43-fwcutter and extract the missing
              firmware files for the b43 driver, using a similar method as discribed here:
              http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868...ireless-driver
              I read somewhere that with the b43-fwcutter now, the firmware is automatically downloaded, but as i was not working that systematically on the problem, i must have done something wrong, and had to download broadcom firmware myself and extracting it using the b43-fwcutter which resulted in a b43 folder in /lib/firmware. From that moment on as far as i can see now, all internet problems were solved. I am still having issues with the computer hanging while shutting down though, which might be completly unrelated, but just wanted to mention it.
              While searching for this problem online, i also found posts where the problem got solved by just re-installing the bcm-kernel-package.

Hope this helps,
              annabirga

Comment

I have found I can't use BCWL here on my dell laptop. because it cause a kernel panic every time. Wired worked ok on 13.04 but no matter what I've tried can't get wireless to work so like others have reverted back to 12.04 lts and it works great. Hoping the Kubuntu 13.10 will solve the problem. there have been several bugs reports filed about this in 13.04 ubuntu but haven't see any resolution to it yet.
                The 3.8 kernel does not like Broadcom WL drivers for some reason. Another possibility here i haven't seen mentioned is that on my dell there is a hardware switch to turn on/off the wireless card.
                If that is turned off wireless will not be found. you can check that with the following command
                Code:
                rfkill list
                Code:
                you should see a list like the following
                         software block    no
                         hardware block   no
                if it say yes for either one you'll need to find what's turning it off.

also check
                Code:
                 /etc/modeprobe.d/blacklist.conf
                make sure the driver for your cards are not blacklisted there.
                Last edited by kc1di; Jun 14, 2013, 03:42 AM.
                Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I have found I can't use BCWL here on my dell laptop. because it cause a kernel panic every time. Wired worked ok on 13.04 but no matter what I've tried can't get wireless to work so like others have reverted back to 12.04 lts and it works great
                  Found a work around to the Broadcom + kernel 3.8 problem on launchpad. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1181392
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                  X