X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 13.04 crashed when launch with Linux 3.8.0-19-generic

Hello,

I just updated my laptop from 12.10 to 13.04. Since I used dual boot for Window 7 and Kubuntu, GRUB boots up and if I select the default boot option to Kubuntu using Linux 3.8.0-19-generic; the screen turns black then a bunch of weird vertical lines shows up. If I move the mouse, I can see the vertical lines moves but no normal login screen. However, if I select Linux 3.5.0-27-generic, the laptop boots up normal without any problem.

If I use the Linux 3.8.0-19-generic (recovery) option, I was able to login normally but I am not sure what is going wrong. I suspect this is a display driver problem, but since I am kind of new to using Linux, I have no idea how to debug the problem.

Here is a picture of my GRUB selection screen:
    https://www.box.com/s/69s8pgxab1owmj7ulznz

I have 2 potential solutions I can think of:

1/ I have a backup of the system so I can restore it and redo the upgrade. Hopefully, it was a bad upgrade process, and if I redo it, it will be OK.

2/ I do know how to edit GRUB file. I can change the boot order and use Linux 3.5.0-27-generic as the default option.

Please let me know how to debug this problem or any solution you can think of.

You are not the first with a similar problem.
    I my case it was sufficient to boot up in the previous kernel and run a full update & upgrade to get the problem out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      You are not the first with a similar problem.
      I my case it was sufficient to boot up in the previous kernel and run a full update & upgrade to get the problem out of the way.
      Can you elaborate more on your reply? I was able to boot up in the previous kernel (3.5 Linux). But how do I run a full update & upgrade again when the system is already upgraded to the latest version. Also, is this a known problem for 13.04? Thank you for your help.

Comment

The reports here are fairly conclusive there were a few wrinkles in the original release and necessary updates are available.

Comment

There was a recent update to the kernel 3.8 but my laptop still won't be able to boot with kernel 3.8 after installation. It is still a bunch of weird vertical lines that move when I move the mouse. I am not sure if there will be more patch to kernel 3.8, but it seems the problem for my laptop has to do with the display driver. Let me know if I should record a video of me booting to show you what went wrong or a way for me to create a debug log. Thank you.

Comment

So what type of video card do you have?
            And do you have a specific video driver installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              So what type of video card do you have?
              And do you have a specific video driver installed?
              Hello,

I am using a HP Elitebook 2770p. I type the command "lshw" and this is what I have. Please let me know if this what you want.

id: display
              description: VGA compatible controller
              product: 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
              vendor: Intel Corporation
              physical id: 2
              bus info:
              pci@0000:00:02.0
              version: 05
              width: 64 bits
              clock: 33MHz
              capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
              configuration:
              driver = i915
              latency = 0
              resources:
              irq : 45
              memory : d4000000-d43fffff
              memory : c0000000-cfffffff
              ioport : 4000(size=64)

Comment

Hello
                Go to Applications -> Additional Drivers. If there is a graphic driver available install it.
                Nota bene: I had lots of boot problems with all 3.8.xx kernels (Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 motherboard, FX 6200 cpu, NVidia GT 640 graphics). So I installed the 3.9.0-030900-generic kernel. No problems anymore.
                Good luck!
                Regards

Comment

Working...
                X