This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No desktop

So I my system told me that there was an update available and I installed 13.04. Everything worked, the system rebooted into a (very colorful) login screen.
    I entered my password and...
    Black. There was no desktop. It started up the same windows that where open when I rebooted, so that worked. There was no panel, and my desktop was gone.
    Luckily I had a shortcut to a terminal.
    First I rebooted. Same thing happened. Then I tried killing plasma-desktop and restarting it. Nothing seemed to work. After I rebooted again, I still had the same problem.
    However, it gave me the well known "something crashed" message with the ladybug on it and it worked again. Used it for a day. Then I had to reboot it because my sound was broken and now everything is broken again.
    Also it isn't starting the wallet thing so it won't connect to internet.

Anyways I just found out that by ctrl + alt + f1'ing and then logging in as root, then doing startx I was able to have a working desktop. That's how I'm posting right now.
    But of course I want to be able to use my own account again.

Any solutions?

First a question, have you done/completed another round of update and dist-upgrade after the install?

I've seen a post suggesting a reinstall of the kde or plasma-desktop is also an option, but I'd start with a full upgrade.

Comment

Working...
    X