This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KMIX or PulseAudio or ALSA or OSS Does Not "See" Microphone

To start with, I've always thought the Linux sound system works on smoke and mirrors, but now I'm sure of it. Basically the sound system works on my 13.04 installation as I can play CDs and listen to MP3 files and system event sounds work, but today, I discovered that my microphone is not "seen" by the OS at all. I've tried the front jack and the rear jack which goes right into my motherboard. I've tried a very nice Sony microphone and the one that's part of my headset. I hate to type it, but the hardware works fine in M$ Windoze; it "sees" when I plug either mic into the front jack or the rear. So I know it's not bad mics and I know the front jack is connected to the mobo header pins.

I've researched this problem, but to date, no joy. Perhaps I just need to assign a dev to the mic hardware. Anyway I'm wrapped around the axle trying to sort out ALSA from Pulseaudio and OSS. I'd say I'm JACKD, but that's another sound thing for Kubuntu I'm totally ignorant about. At this point I'd like to start over and uninstall all sound devices and then reinstall same. Please help.

Just let me know if you need me to submit any readouts or config files.
    Last edited by mhumm2; Apr 28, 2013, 11:27 AM. Reason: Improve clarity of thought
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
    I discovered that my microphone is not "seen" by the OS at all.
    how do you know this ?

do you have a mic controle if you open "alsamixer" in a terminal?

if you install pavucontrole dose it show a mic input?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi vinny. Yes, now with pavucontrol, I can see my front mic and set the sound level. The default kmix volume control in my system tray only provides my webcam (with built-in mic) and my built-in analog audio card (incorporated into the mobo).

Wow! I just tried a new screencast using kazam and it does pick up the front mic audio now. I don't understand it. I installed the volume control you suggested and IT allows the OS to "see" my front mic. and an installed app can now capture from that same mic. But I've since closed that volume control so the only one active is kmix which doesn't see anything differently than it did.

Do you have the time to explain the basics of this? Will I have to run pavucontrol for every session when I want to use my mic? I really need to buy a vowel.
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Hi vinny.

Do you have the time to explain the basics of this? Will I have to run pavucontrol for every session when I want to use my mic? I really need to buy a vowel.
        well I can not realy enplane this as to me , as you, linux sound can be all smoke and mirrors I just know that pulse audio volume control seams to work things out faster for me than going though system settings>multimedia>phonon ,,,,,,,like when I want to record an Internet radio stream with Audacity and need the monitor of built in audio picking up.

I think it will be easier for you to just alt+F2 type pulse and click pulse Audio volume control and use it to select the input device when you knead to change it

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks to all who weighed in; I appreciate the effort. vinnywright is right, Linux audio does seem to be more smoke and mirrors than logical programming. This is a tough one. I can get my system to do what I want for a particular session, but at some point (I don't use audio recording very much) I have to reset the volumes to record audio again. Thanks again.

Comment

Linux audio does seem to be more smoke and mirrors than logical programming
            Yep.

Last edited by SteveRiley; May 17, 2013, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X