X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade kinda broke everything

I can still log in, the desktop loads.
    However the Dolphin file manager is unusable. When i start Dolphin, a window opens, but it stays grey. Nothing else show. When i try to close that window, i get a message that the window doesn't respond anymore.

Muon software center takes forever to load, or just stops all togheter without opening a window.

I can start VLC for example. Though trying to open a file through the menu of vlc is very low. Takes about 5 minutes to get to my file and open it. While when using Nautilus (which seems to be missing it's icons) i can perfectly drop the file to my playlist without effort.

Also the windows titles do weird things. Opening a new window i see the window title of the previous active window in the background of the new window. Like when in Firefox i switch a tab, i'dd see the the website title of the previous tab in the windows title background.

I was hoping the KSystemLog could have helped me figure out the problem. If only it would start.
    I can't view the logs.

Desktop
    Intel QuadCore
    Some nVidia msi 512mb card
    16 GB ram DDR3
    4 internal drives. 2x320GB 1x1TB 1x3TB

Edit: Seems the shutdown command from the kickoff menu doesn't work either. yesterday my pc frooze when i used it. Now it did nothing, the Os stayed usable. So no after killing the power, and trying to restart, i just get a black screen after that black screen sayin Kubunut 13.04 ...
    I'm keeping it run now eventhough the screen stays black. I seem to remember i have encounterd this black screen thin in the past and kubuntu magicly came a live again... Although i could be a booting error? I do get to see some booting output just before the screen goes black.

Earlier today I had a similar problem but was able to boot into an older (-18) kernel, did an update and all is fine again.
    Hopefully this works for you...

Comment

when shutting of power while in blackscreen, i'm able to choose an older kernel
      But euhm, when you say 'did an update' you mean like opening the muon center and checking for updates, or some other command?

Edit, it seems a new account doesn't have this problem.
      Eventhough i'm hardly using any of the user specific folders, i hope that somehow that somehow i can repair my user account.

Comment

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ointer-visible
        The point about renaming the .kde folder to .kde_old did seems to 'fix' my profile.
        At the moment my windows aren't properly themed anymore, though i'm hopefull that a resboot will solve this. That or i'll have to reïnstall the theme.
        I hope the shutdown will work properly now as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Comment

I does seem to be resolved. I did have to reinstall my themes, which took about an hour of work. But it's running smoothly again.

May be closed

Comment

Originally posted by FUNimations View Post
            I does seem to be resolved. I did have to reinstall my themes, which took about an hour of work. But it's running smoothly again.

May be closed
            To make doubly sure everything is as it should be run the following commands please
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
            Those three commands are magic on Kubuntu. When in doubt run them, reboot and you should be good to go.

Comment

Also to mark as solved click on the thread tools at the top and just select mark as solved..

Click image for larger version

Name:	threadtools.png
Views:	2
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	640326

Comment

Working...
              X