Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubtunu 13.04 MY DESKTOP DISAPPEARED!!!!!!!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to kubuntu. So go easy on me please. My issue is probably pretty simple, I just updated to 13.04 (about an hour ago) and after the upgrade my desktop has disappeared. I get the main login screen, the splash screen, and then just a blank desktop with the mouse cursor. Alt-f2 does nothing, so i ctrl-alt-f1 to get into tty. But when i type "startkde" i get the error message "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the x server". I've already purged the nvidia driver and re-installed the "current" which is 304.88 but to no avail. Also, the grub menu accomplishes nothing, going back to the old header "3.5." doesn't fix the issue and theres not showing to be any broken packages. I've even tried re-installing the KDE desktop but nothing is working. Any ideas Please help....

System info:
    Intel Core2Quad
    Nvidia Gforce GT520 2Gb
    120Gb SSD- Main drive
    2Tb HDD- Media Drive
    4Gb DDR3

Hey guys, i'm pretty new to kubuntu. So go easy on me please. My issue is probably pretty simple, I just updated to 13.04 (about an hour ago) and after the upgrade my desktop has disappeared. I get the main login screen, the splash screen, and then just a blank desktop with the mouse cursor. Alt-f2 does nothing, so i ctrl-alt-f1 to get into tty. But when i type "startkde" i get the error message "$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the x server". I've already purged the nvidia driver and re-installed the "current" which is 304.88 but to no avail. Also, the grub menu accomplishes nothing, going back to the old header "3.5." doesn't fix the issue and theres not showing to be any broken packages. I've even tried re-installing the KDE desktop but nothing is working. Any ideas Please help....

System info:
    Intel Core2Quad
    Nvidia Gforce GT520 2Gb
    120Gb SSD- Main drive
    2Tb HDD- Media Drive
    4Gb DDR3

Comment

I'm not an expert, not even close, but several years ago I was trying to install Debian (because nothing else would work) on an old eMac, and I got the same kind of blinking cursor screen after install. At some point I read something that led me to try the startx command. I don't know if it will help you, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't hurt anything at this point. Maybe it will at least give you some useful info. I ended up having to edit my xorg.conf file to fix things, but I remember that the startx command was helpful somehow.

Comment

Thank, I tried that, but then the screen just goes completely black "no cursor" and i have to press ctrl-alt-f7 to get to where it was before.

Comment

What exactly did you do?

sudo apt-get update = getting the info of new or rectified packages in the repos = no change on the computer at all.
          sudo apt-get upgrade = getting all the new or rectified packages in the repos without some defined ones who need
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade = especially for kernel software after which a restart of the program is needed.

Or did you manually change all the pointers in your various lists of the sources to the funny name of the version 13.04?

(I never understand this system with animal names instead of clear and memorable numbers like 13.04, but that's another story).
          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

When in doubt try this set of commands
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            that failing to fix your issue then run
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Originally posted by gtrmotorc7 View Post

System info:
              Intel Core2Quad
              Nvidia Gforce GT520 2Gb
              120Gb SSD- Main drive
              2Tb HDD- Media Drive
              4Gb DDR3
              Ok this is what you need to do. Hit Alt+Ctrl+F1 now login. The next few steps are quite simple.
              Code:
              Reboot? Did it work if not run this command
              Code:
              Did this work? If not I have the next set of commands for you:
              Code:
              sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
              sudo apt-get install linux-source
              sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
              sudo apt-get install linux-image
              sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
              Remember to reboot after each step and tell me if it helped.

Comment

Copied to a text file for future emergenies. Thanks.

P.S. the upgrade performed yesterday went off without a hitch. Sometimes I get lucky.
                Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  When in doubt try this set of commands
                  Code:
                  that failing to fix your issue then run
                  Code:
                  Neither of these fix my issue.

Comment

Nope, this do not solve the problem. It seems like the X server is running, but echo DISPLAY do not give anything. I removed all nvidia drivers and rebooted to see what will happen with nouveau driver. And it seems like it is working fine, but without GLX. echo DISPLAY give me :0 I tried nvidia 304 and 310 drivers. I manually set DISPLAY to be :0 with nvidia's drivers but without luck.

Comment

No the next set of commands to run is

Code:
                      sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
                      sudo apt-get install linux-source
                      sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
                      sudo apt-get install linux-image
                      sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
                      Reboot and report back.

Comment

I ran the above commands
                        linux source- current
                        headers- current
                        image- current
                        purged and re-installed nvidia drivers- changed resoloution, and "kubuntu" logo to text format but no other changes.
                        Also, its showing a repository that wasnt there before "noobslab/nvidia-quantal" and it wont allow the dist-upgrade because it's ignoring it. is there a way to remove it through the tty terminal?

Comment

Ya you got the lucky stick then lol

I ran the above commands
                          linux source- current
                          headers- current
                          image- current
                          purged and re-installed nvidia drivers- changed resoloution, and "kubuntu" logo to text format but no other changes.
                          Also, its showing a repository that wasnt there before "noobslab/nvidia-quantal" and it wont allow the dist-upgrade because it's ignoring it. is there a way to remove it through the tty terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by gtrmotorc7 View Post
                            Ya you got the lucky stick then lol

I ran the above commands
                            linux source- current
                            headers- current
                            image- current
                            What!? How come do you have quantal repos? Well I haven't personally got a 13.04 install so I just ran through the standard steps. I hope you rebooted after installing the drivers. If that doesn't help somebody else is going to have to step up to the plate.

Comment

i have no idea how i got the quantal repo, it wasnt there b4 i clicked the upgrade. i only installed the proprietary driver from the additional drivers tab. So your guess is as good as mine. do you know of a way to purge the ppa through the terminal?

Comment

Working...
                              X