• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iface configuration

A 'default' (?) /etc/network/interface file only contains:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

Is there any reason why one would not want to include the wired and/or wireless interfaces as well?

Dynamic IP Address Assignment (DHCP Client)

To configure your server to use DHCP for dynamic address assignment, add the dhcp method to the inet address family statement for the appropriate interface in the file /etc/network/interfaces. The example below assumes you are configuring your first Ethernet interface identified as eth0.

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

By adding an interface configuration as shown above, you can manually enable the interface through the ifup command which initiates the DHCP process via dhclient.

sudo ifup eth0

To manually disable the interface, you can use the ifdown command, which in turn will initiate the DHCP release process and shut down the interface.

sudo ifdown eth0

Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 22, 2013, 04:46 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

even with this as my interfaces file i still get auto DHCP even if i boot to a term. and yes that is the new default. something else has to be doing it (network manager have a backend for this?)
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      A 'default' (?) /etc/network/interface file only contains:

auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

Is there any reason why one would not want to include the wired and/or wireless interfaces as well?
      Interfaces listed in /etc/network/interfaces are excluded from management by Network Manager. If you place your various eth* and wlan* interfaces there, then you won't be able to control them with the Network Manager graphical interface or command-line utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Interfaces listed in /etc/network/interfaces are excluded from management by Network Manager. If you place your various eth* and wlan* interfaces there, then you won't be able to control them with the Network Manager graphical interface or command-line utilities.
        THAT is an informative answer. Thank you!
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I aim to please.

Comment

Working...
          X