X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PJJ View Post
    Thanks again for the reply.
    I just did a quick unzip of the raw driver code to a sub-directory of my home directory. Then make, which gave the errors because 'file(s) could not be found.
    I assume because the unzipped code was not in the correct directory.
    You should be able to extract the zip anywhere. I even extracted to /tmp/asdf and still ended up with /tmp/asdf/drxvi314.ko

Comment

As I said I will do so as soon as I have done some house cleaning.
      Meanwhile I am tampering with the bcm_wimax driver. Just for the heck of it.

No offense to you, paperplate9. I appreciate your contribution very much. They have made me come very, very close to succeed with the module drxvi314.ko.

Interestingly enough with kernel 3.8.0-29-generic and using the built-in driver module bcm_wimax (staging) I get almost identical results to module drxvi314.ko!
      Network Manager even establishes a new 'wired connection' eth1.
      It loads and uses the wimax driver usbbcm - just as drxvi314.ko.

Command line code results in messages that are identical to those for drxvi314.ko. - including the infamous "device NOT present".

The problem appears at least to some extend located in the device itself. Truncated file?

Furthermore:
      Since error message declares 'interface' as undefined and IP address as 'no IP address" more work is needed here to set up the interface.
      Could one of the interface experts please contribute some

wimaxd reports one small error in the file wimaxd.conf. Then gives messages identical to drxvi314.ko including "Trying to open device" in a loop.
      Upon closing:

CTerminating Authentication Timer thread.
      Timer Authentication thread has finished.
      Terminating Check Timeouts Timer thread.
      Terminating Periodic Action Timer thread.
      Timer Periodic Action thread has finished.

Shutting down the Beceem API interface.
      Terminating Process Messages thread.
      Process Messages thread has exited
      Freeing the Options Table.
      Freeing other structures.
      Closing EAP supplicant.
      Closing Beceem WiMAX device.
      Freeing message queue.
      Freeing mutexes.
      Freeing print context structures.
      Beceem API interface has been shut down.

Fewer errors than on my last drxvi314.ko attempt.
      For whatever it is worth.
      But I will continue to work on the original driver module drxvi314.ko.

Comment

After a failed attempt during which I tried to compile the module as root, I used 'make' as a regular user. The result?

drxvi314.ko in the temp directory.

Moved it to /lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic.
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 399703 Aug 31 11:43 drxvi314.ko

Only testing to be done.

I have posted the narrative of the compilation at

http://pastebin.com/20Rks2SH
        Last edited by PJJ; Aug 31, 2013, 01:00 PM. Reason: Corrected result

Comment

One thing I noticed in your log:

Code:
          make -Wall O=/lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic/build -C /lib/modules/[b]3.8.0-29-generic[/b]/source SUBDIRS=/tmp/kde-peter/ark4hkewN/drxvi314-source modules
          make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-[b]3.8.0-26-generic[/b]'
          make is going into the headers for 3.8.0-26. Can you show what /lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic/source points to?

Comment

I noticed that and corrected it.
            /lib/modules/3.8.0-29-generic/source points to 3.8.0-29-generic.

The module compiled to /temp. I moved it from there to lib/modules/3.8.02-29-generic.

Tested the driver yesterday. Results later today when I have more time.

Mystery:

While testing driver drxvi314.ko I noticed an interface 'pppo' that was transferring packet.
            But I was in an area without any wireless. Only U600 plugged in for testing.

As you will see later on pastebin, I received a message that said xxxx packets transferred.
            148 kb approx.
            File name: maxcvi200.bin.

Where did that come from?

Earlier I had checked the modem with XP. Started to rest because it did not work. Reset never did anything - as far as I know.
            Maybe that triggered the file download?

But HOW?
            I was not on an active connection.
            Last edited by PJJ; Sep 03, 2013, 03:38 PM. Reason: corrections

Comment

The plot thickens.

What is it? A miracle or a mystery download?

Read all about it at

http://pastebin.com/PckqfPUF

Comment

Here is the missing dmesg for the drxvi314.ko compilation according to the patched data from paperplate9:

http://pastebin.com/k9L2NGQZ
                Last edited by PJJ; Sep 03, 2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

ppp0 is probably the 3G modem. Kill any auto-connection stuff, just making things harder.

As I said before, ifconfig does not matter until you are connected to a base station. No base station connection is like trying to configure a NIC without a cable plugged in. Plus you will be using dhcp anyway.

And you still have the bind socket error. Did you ever run netstat -antp|grep :5200? Do you have only one instance of wimaxd running (ps -ef|grep wimaxd). Are you running wimaxd as root? macvi200.bin is a file that should exist in /lib/firmware that the driver downloads to the device. Your dmesg output looks like bcm_wimax and not drxvi314.

Keep it simple...your goal is to connect to a base station, so forget all about IP addresses and downloads & such...

Comment

Preliminary reply:

netstat -antp|grep :5200

Yes. reverts back to command line.

ps -ef|grep wimaxd
                    peter 9437 2563 0 12:04 pts/0 00:00:00 grep --color=auto wimaxd

It could have been 3G but the green light did never flicker during the download. And I did not ask for the download of macxvi200.bin.

dmseg output after first installation of your driver module looked very much like your dmesg code. I saved it but now cannot find it any longer. Lost an entire file with info, I guess.

bcm_wimax is loading despite the fact that it is blacklisted.
                    I have to remove it manually before loading drxzvi314.ko

More later. Need to go back and get only drxvi314 installed.
                    Last edited by PJJ; Sep 04, 2013, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Here is a drxvi314.ko dmesg output from today:

drxvi314.ko installed and loaded 09/04/13:

dmesg

sudo dmesg -c|tail -60
                      [sudo] password for peter:
                      [ 5085.806717]
                      [ 5085.806720] beceem_parse_target_struct:PMU MODE: 0
                      [ 5085.806724] beceem_parse_target_struct:bDisableFastFlashWrite: 0
                      [ 5085.806728] beceem_parse_target_struct:uiEEPROMFlag : 0x2
                      [ 5085.806732]
                      [ 5085.806735] beceem_parse_target_struct:Power Save Mode: 0
                      [ 5085.806738]
                      [ 5085.806742] doPowerAutoCorrection:PMU selected ....
                      [ 5085.806746] beceem_parse_target_struct:LinkUp Config : 0x3
                      [ 5085.806749]
                      [ 5085.807165] updateWriteProtectedRegister:Value read from Reg: 0xf000c00 is 0x1f4062
                      [ 5085.807165]
                      [ 5085.807174] updateWriteProtectedRegister:Register 0xf000c00 restored successfully, with value 0x1f4062 !!
                      [ 5085.807179]
                      [ 5085.807183] updateWriteProtectedRegister:Tried to restore Reg: 0xf000c00, 0 times
                      [ 5085.807183]
                      [ 5085.807188] Bcm_kill_all_URBs:Cancelling All Submitted TX Urbs
                      [ 5085.807191]
                      [ 5085.807204] Bcm_kill_all_URBs:Cancelling All submitted Rx Urbs
                      [ 5085.807207]
                      [ 5085.807219]
                      [ 5085.807219] <<<<No of tries in the tx side:0>>>
                      [ 5085.807224]
                      [ 5085.807224] <<<<No of tries in the Rx side:0>>>
                      [ 5085.807230] Bcm_kill_all_URBs:TCB: used- 0 cur-0
                      [ 5085.807233]
                      [ 5085.807236] Bcm_kill_all_URBs:RCB: used- 0 cur-0
                      [ 5085.807239]
                      [ 5085.807242] reset_card_proc:Reseting UMA-B
                      [ 5085.807245]
                      [ 5085.807251] ====================>
                      [ 5085.880200] usb 1-3.1: reset high-speed USB device number 9 using ehci-pci
                      [ 5085.972675] Do Post chip reset setting here if it is requiredddr_init:Register Count is =48
                      [ 5085.993776]
                      [ 5086.008143] InitCardAndDownloadFirmware:CFG file downloaded
                      [ 5086.013890]
                      [ 5086.013890] /tmp/kde-peter/ark4hkewN/drxvi314-source/Common/nvm.c:ReadMacAddressFromNVM:441:Buffer dump of size 0x6 in the HEX:
                      [ 5086.013899] F4 63 49 07 27 9D
                      [ 5086.013910] register_networkdev:Registering netdevice notifier
                      [ 5086.013913]
                      [ 5086.013924] register_networkdev:BCM Notifier got Registered
                      [ 5086.030264] bcm_notify_event:Register RefCount: 7
                      [ 5086.030272]
                      [ 5086.032703] register_networkdev:Beceem Network device name is eth1!
                      [ 5086.033243] bcm_open:======>
                      [ 5086.098624] ReadLEDInformationFromEEPROM:GPIO's bit map correspond to LED :0xA000
                      [ 5086.112616] ReadLEDInformationFromEEPROM:SPIO's bit map correspond to LED :0x0
                      [ 5086.116670] open_firmware_file:Got file descriptor pointer of /lib/firmware/macxvi350.bin!
                      [ 5086.116682] BcmFileDownload:Opened file is = /lib/firmware/macxvi350.bin and length =0x2084a0 to be downloaded at =0xbfc00000
                      [ 5086.116687] BcmFileDownload:download start ebe16e39
                      [ 5086.449070] InterfaceFileDownload:Got end of file!
                      [ 5086.713400] InterfaceFileReadbackFromChip:Got end of file!
                      [ 5086.713423] BcmFileDownload:file download done at ebe1708d
                      [ 5086.713429] InitCardAndDownloadFirmware:BIN file downloaded
                      [ 5086.723565] device_run:Sending first interrupt URB down......
                      [ 5086.724432] device_run:Got the mailbox interrupt ...Registering control interface...
                      [ 5086.724432]
                      [ 5086.730653] register_control_device_interface:Got Major No: 249
                      [ 5086.730796] usbbcm_device_probe:Enabling USB Auto-Suspend
                      [ 5086.730802]

Since this appeared incomplete, I retraced my steps to do another attempt. Got driver loaded with 'insmod'. modprobe did again not find the driver.
                      4G mode set to 2 (auto).

dmesg (09/07/13) and related information is posted at

http://pastebin.com/YLT01Yjx.

Some expert interpretation is needed to get past this impasse.

I have opened another thread specifically for the listening socket bind failed error under the title"FATAl error:Listen socket bind failed. . .".
                      It is at http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-How-to-fix-it.

Detailed info regarding this problem is at the above pastebin location.
                      Last edited by PJJ; Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 AM. Reason: Reference to related post

Comment

[/QUOTE]. . .
                        I have opened another thread specifically for the listening socket bind failed error under the title"FATAl error:Listen socket bind failed. . .".
                        It is at http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...-How-to-fix-it.

Detailed info regarding this problem is at the above pastebin location.[/QUOTE]

Today, 09/11/13, I will post another pastebin with the results of my latest efforts.

I changed the inet address for eth1.

That solved the socket bind failure problem - at least temporarily.

Data will be posted at pastebin.

wimaxd and wimaxc appeared to be working.
                        Search function in wimaxc active - but no base station found.

I know, because I am unable to receive wimax signal here inside. Need external antenna.

Comment

I am closing this thread and will mark it as 'solved' because I finally installed the wimax driver module drxvi314.ko successfully. It is working now. Also solved is the problem with the error 'listen socket bind failed.

My final conclusions:
                          Contrary to statements elsewhere the driver module drxvi314.ko compiles properly with modern Linux kernels. I am using it with 3.8.0-30-generic. Others use it with Kubuntu 12.04.
                          The linux native driver bcm_wimax did not work for me, though other users found it to work (with the Sprint Sierra modem) and possibly Franklin U600.

Starting the modem is a cumbersome process since the driver has to be loaded whenever the computer is booted up. It is also essential that the driver activation process be done following a certain sequence and as root throughout. And that includes switching on the 4G modem via picocom/minicom and the command described by paperplate9 in his thread. It is also essential to release the port from picocom/minicom after the switch or an error message 'device NOT present' will come up later.

My next step will be to make an actual connection and to go through the authentication process. I am expecting another round of errors there unless my file wimaxd.conf happens the have correct data in each and every field. Fat chance!

Once a successful connection can be made reliably, I need to either find a way to prepare a script that loads the driver on boot up or install the official Sprint CSCM connection manager. Minhazul Haque has published his version of a connection manager under the title "GUI For BCS Mobile WiMAX On Linux " that can take the place of the official CSCM manager.
                          I am reluctant to use it for my installation because it is designed for an older kernel and modifies and installs files automatically. It might disturb my now working installation.

In addition, the network manager that comes with the standard linux kernels has a tab for 'Wired' connections.
                          During my efforts NM installed at several occasions a new 'wired' connection eth1 that was actually my 4G modem in actions - sort of. This tab 'wired' should allow us to setup a 4G wimax connection provided there is a working wimax modem and the correct connection data can be entered. I believe I now know the data for IPv4 and IPv6 and the ethernet parameters. I am not sure about the all essential 802.1 security information to enter.

We will tackle this after a good connection can be established reliably and I have collected or received from someone more of the missing entries in the security tab.

For whatever it is worth to anyone, I have published my most recent successful driver modules installation data and connection attempt at

http://pastebin.com/iHJpJZ9x

True, it is sort of repetitive because we go over the same data categories all over again, but this time it looks like everything was like it is supposed to be. Some of the data is abbreviated or truncated. Contact me if you want more detailed info.
                          Last edited by PJJ; Sep 21, 2013, 01:32 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Glad you got it, please keep us updated if you were able to successfully get online with the U600 & 4G/WiMax. I don't browse the forum too often so please link to your progress if you're keeping it somewhere else...thanks!

Comment

I have not been able to connect successfully yet because for some reason even with my external antenna I get the message "0 base stations found" - even in an area the Sprint coverage map shows as "best".

Made a few minor changes to wimaxd.conf (mainly the format of the center frequencies), since I noticed that the Windows init file does not use Mhz. Should not make a difference though.

General update:

Updated the kernel to the latest 3.8.0-31-generic.
                              Driver module stopped working. Wrong driver format.
                              It worked up to 3.8.0-30-generic.

Recompiled the module (using your source) to 3.8.0-31-generic.
                              Module working again.

I post much of my efforts and observations on

http://pastebin.com/u/pjj90292.

That might be an easier place for you to check. Otherwise contact me, please, and I will give you a contact e-mail or so.

Comment

While working on my Kubuntu 13.10 installation I discovered that the drxvi314.ko driver is no longer working with the latest kernel update. 3.11.0-11-generic.
                                My first effort to recompile the module to the driver completed but gave a non-working driver.
                                Just for the fun of it I therefore went back to Kubuntu 13.04 and used the native linux driver bcm_wimax that is found in the staging directory.

Contrary to previous attempts this time the driver actually did work.
                                It produced results identical to those received when using drxvi314.ko. And again I could not connect because I do not have coverage where I am even when I use an external antenna in an area Sprint labels as 'best'.

I will post my raw data received during the test on pastebin. The data is unedited and needs your interpretation. But it clearly shows that bcm_wimax was working, scanning the spectrum and attempting to make a connection.
                                That is good news for me because it would be much simpler if the native driver would actually do the job.

Pastebin location:

http://pastebin.com/gQKjNrt4

paperplate9 this post might interest you!

Comment

Working...
                                X