X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Static IP?

Hi!

I tried to setup a static ip, but no luck.

1) I tried the gui way from kde network manager.
    I set it to manual and I entered IP Adress, Subnet Mask, Gateway and 2 nameservers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IP.png
Views:	1
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	647968

After restarting the network.......no connectivity.

2) I tried also the traditional way, but resolv.conf is no longer valid for nameservers entries.
    Where to enter them?

PS. I have a Pirelli adb p.rg a4201g router, and I can't see at router setup, any capability of assigning static IPs to specific MAC addresses.
    Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+ ‖ RAM 1750 MiB ‖ ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    nVidia C61 [GeForce 6150SE nForce 430] [10de:03d0] {nvidia}
    eth0: nVidia MCP61 Ethernet [10de:03ef] (rev a2)

Originally posted by Achaean View Post
    After restarting the network.......no connectivity.
    How did you "restart the network"?

Also, please show the output of
    Code:
    cat /etc/network/interfaces
    I tried also the traditional way, but resolv.conf is no longer valid for nameservers entries. Where to enter them?
    Resolver configuration is now handled automatically by resolvconf, which (among many other tasks) dynamically creates the file /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf and then symlinks /etc/resolv.conf to that file. You shouldn't have to edit this file anymore, but proper operation of resolvconf does depend on proper operation of the full IP stack.

PS. I have a Pirelli adb p.rg a4201g router, and I can't see at router setup, any capability of assigning static IPs to specific MAC addresses.
    Hm...typically, you do this when you want to create a DHCP reservation, such that the same client (identified by its MAC address) always receives the same IP address. If you're configuring static IP addresses on computers, you don't have to do anything in your router.

Comment

THANKS Steve for your help!!!

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      How did you "restart the network"?
      Initially giving: sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
      Since I had some problems with it (it was messing my tray icons), just rebooting.

Also, please show the output of
      Code:
      cat /etc/network/interfaces
      # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

Hm...typically, you do this when you want to create a DHCP reservation, such that the same client (identified by its MAC address) always receives the same IP address. If you're configuring static IP addresses on computers, you don't have to do anything in your router.
      What I was trying to do, is giving the same IP every time to my pc, for opening in router 3 specific ports, in order to accept incoming connections my torrent client.
      (1 tcp, 1 udp and 1 udp for dht).
      Seems like upnp was working properly at 12.10, because I had not to do it.
      Now at 13.04, my client is not working properly. I tried Ktorrent and Deluge.
      Maybe some upnp problem?

EDIT:

Seems like there was a problem with my isp nameservers.
      I replaced them with Google DNS servers and now I'm online again.
      Here's the corrected settings:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IP.png
Views:	1
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	640376

How can I check if the port forwarding is error free?
      I setup router, to forward the 50000 port, but deluge still can't receive from there.
      It shows a ! sign.
      Last edited by Achaean; Jun 01, 2013, 06:39 PM.
      Kubuntu 13.10 saucy 3.11.0-12-generic 64bit (el_GR.UTF-8, kde-plasma), Windows 7

Comment

Try using telnet to see if you can get through to the server behind the router (telnet server.name.here 50000). I will probably respond with something to indicate what it is. You will need to use Control-] to break the connection to exit telnet though.

Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter!

Code:
          Κυρ Ιούν 02 . 04:46 πμ ~>telnet www.google.com 50000
          Trying 173.194.39.240...
          telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out
          Κυρ Ιούν 02 . 04:48 πμ ~>
          Seems like it is closed.

Comment

Ordinary connectivity is now working for you, that's good. And you've learned that ISP DNS servers can be unreliable at times. I run my own DNS server on my home network for this very reason. When I'm away, I usually point to 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2; these are maintained by Verizon and sit very close to core routing on the Internet.

Because you're configuring a static IP address on your desktop itself, you don't need to do any kind of address reservation on your router.

To test your port forwarding, telnetting to Google on port 50000 won't do it, which is what you attempted in post #5. Instead, you need to be outside your home network and telnet to cable_modem_public_IP, port 50000. This can be difficult to do in practice, of course. Google around a bit for sites that can test port forwarding. Such sites will try this kind of connection and report the results to you.

Comment

Following on from what Steve said above, a decent site to check your port-forwarding with is http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/
              sigpic
              "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

THANKS guys!!!

I found also useful the port check of deluge and azureus.
                Deluge check (from settings) is more accurate here. Azureus tcp check (from help -> nat-firewall check), indicates OK if it can connect, even if the port is closed (maybe using upnp)?

What surprised me, was the not 100% correct functioning of my router.
                After some trial and error, I added the port to NAT -> virtual server, to forward TCP traffic, to 192.168.1.2 (my pc).
                Then the port opened and torrent clients check was OK.
                Then I shutdown my pc and I left the room.

After a while, when I returned here and started the pc, the port was closed! But it was open a bit earlier and closed without touching anything!

I set the router to DMZ and of course the port was open again, but I don't really like DMZ, so I disabled it again.
                I checked again the port and it's once again open.
                I read online that other people reported too, this misbehavior from various routers (the sudden and not requested closing of the ports) and they suggested rebooting the router (or buying another brand).
                I found here, that enabling and disabling again DMZ, doing the trick without rebooting.

Anyway! Nothing is perfect I suppose.
                The fact is, that everything is working properly right now. I only have to check if the port is open before torrenting.

THANKS AGAIN for all your help!!!
                It was nothing to do with KDE after all.
                The faulty behavior was of my ISP DNS servers and provided router.

Comment

Resolver configuration is now handled automatically by resolvconf, which (among many other tasks) dynamically creates the file /run/resolvconf/resolv.conf and then symlinks /etc/resolv.conf to that file.
                  Just some additional information (even though the issue was solved):
                  The dynamic resolv.conf is created based on the config files in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/, so it's possible to add your own configurations (like nameservers) there, see FILES section in 'man resolvconf'

Comment

Working...
                  X