This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netwok connection problems

Hi all, not really sure if this is Kubuntu related or somehow related to my ISP, but I've contacted them too (they don't readily like be told there's a problem and it might be them), although I've proved them wrong before.

Anyhoo. I've got a Netgear N300 DGN2200 (http://www.netgear.co.nz/home/produc.../DGN2200.aspx#) wireless modem.
    Then I have 2 x Windows 7 laptops and my Kubuntu 13.04 notebook (all HP's). Then we have 3 x Android smartphones.
    Everything worked fine with the wireless eg easy gaming on 2 x Windows laptops, normal use on the Kubuntu with the phones being connected to wi-fi using WhatsApp, etc.
    After updating my notebook to 13.04 it kills the wi-fi on the phones, I get timed out everytime I want to download, install or update something on the phone.
    Switching wireless off on my notebook fixes the issue.
    Any suggestions, help or advice out there?

Log into your modem's admin console and go to whatever section allows you to configure the wireless properties. Look for something like "channel width." Is it set to auto? If so, change it to 20 MHz. Does this fix your problem?

Comment

Hi SteveRiley
      thanks for the quick reply.
      I'm having a little trouble in getting to the channel width setting and time isn't my friend today. Will be popping out until later today NZ time. Will have a decent look around then and will let you know

Comment

Hi SteveRiley
        I had a chance to scratch around in the router settings and cannot find anything on channel width. I've clicked on every link there is.

Comment

Is this what you see for wireless settings?

All the incessant "dumbing down" in the tech industry is driving me crazy. Change the "Mode" to a slower speed and see what happens. This is the same thing as using a narrower channel bandwidth. It will not affect your Internet speed, unless you're on a very fast cable connection around 100 Mbps.

Comment

Hi Steve
            sorry for only replying now; have been busy entertaining my 6yo daughter out of house while we're on school holidays.
            I will give this a shot and see what it does tonight and tomorrow and post back.
            Txs in advance

Comment

Hi (again) Steve
              anyway I've changed the mode down to 54mbps and it seems to work perfectly!! Thank you for all the help.
              Just a bit of useless info: I've heard back from our ISP provider and (as I knew they would) they blame the OS completely for this. They didn't even suggest changing settings.

So a huge thank you for saving me hours on the phone screaming at ID10T's

Comment

Working...
              X