This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma Network Manager not able to connect to VPN

The Plasma NM is not connecting to a VPN and the settings I'm entering are 100% correct as I have used VPN services for years. I did report this on the KDE forums and one of the devs briefly said it might be a bug connected to using systemd or someting like that.

I doubt I will be the only person reporting this.

Does anyone know if this will ever be fixed, or has anyone else here tried connecting to a pptp VPN service?

btw, it connects reliably in the most recent Mint Mate DE, and it connects reliably in Win 7.

There are no system errors or error messages, it just waits with the 'connecting' showing for a couple of minutes then returns to normal to be tried again. There are no flashing lights on the router which is always the case when attempting or establishing this type of connection, regardless of platform.

Originally posted by KDEnewbie View Post
    The Plasma NM is not connecting to a VPN and the settings I'm entering are 100% correct as I have used VPN services for years. I did report this on the KDE forums and one of the devs briefly said it might be a bug connected to using systemd or someting like that.

I doubt I will be the only person reporting this.

Does anyone know if this will ever be fixed, or has anyone else here tried connecting to a pptp VPN service?

btw, it connects reliably in the most recent Mint Mate DE, and it connects reliably in Win 7.

There are no system errors or error messages, it just waits with the 'connecting' showing for a couple of minutes then returns to normal to be tried again. There are no flashing lights on the router which is always the case when attempting or establishing this type of connection, regardless of platform.
    (K)Ubuntu does not use systemd, it uses Upstart which is developed in house. Heck my openSUSE 12.3 install connects just fine to a VPN and it has systemd. What errors are you getting?

Comment

No errors at all, it is simply not physically doing anything (can tell this by no activity on the router), it just stays on 'connecting' for a couple of mins and then returns to being ready for re-try.

I also tried the gui app 'Kvpnc', same deal.

Can I ask you if you are connecting to a pptp type or OpenVPN?

Comment

We need details to help diagnose problems. Open a console window. Run
        Code:
        tail -f /var/log/syslog
        Try making a VPN connection. You'll likely see some stuff getting written to syslog, which will appear in the console window. Copy and paste what you see into a reply here.

Comment

the problem is that the log shows that there might be an error at the VPN end or similar, I can see that there is no physical activity on the router, which means it isn't doing anything, and yes I always double check the actual vpn service from another machine and it is working perfectly. And as for the "network connection might be broken", no, not as far as I can see?

Code:
          nick@Nicks-Dell:~$ tail -f /var/log/syslog
          Apr 29 09:36:00 Nicks-Dell pulseaudio[1797]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
          Apr 29 09:36:00 Nicks-Dell rtkit-daemon[1768]: Successfully made thread 1799 of process 1799 (n/a) owned by '1000' high priority at nice level -11.
          Apr 29 09:36:00 Nicks-Dell rtkit-daemon[1768]: Supervising 4 threads of 2 processes of 1 users.
          Apr 29 09:36:00 Nicks-Dell pulseaudio[1799]: [pulseaudio] pid.c: Daemon already running.
          Apr 29 09:37:53 Nicks-Dell dbus[781]: [system] Activating service name='org.debian.AptXapianIndex' (using servicehelper)
          Apr 29 09:37:54 Nicks-Dell dbus[781]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.debian.AptXapianIndex'
          Apr 29 09:38:13 Nicks-Dell dbus[781]: [system] Activating service name='org.kubuntu.qaptworker2' (using servicehelper)
          Apr 29 09:38:13 Nicks-Dell dbus[781]: [system] Successfully activated service 'org.kubuntu.qaptworker2'
          Apr 29 09:40:12 Nicks-Dell anacron[908]: Job `cron.daily' started
          Apr 29 09:40:12 Nicks-Dell anacron[2058]: Updated timestamp for job `cron.daily' to 2013-04-29
          Apr 29 09:42:12 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> Starting VPN service 'pptp'...
          Apr 29 09:42:12 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' started (org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.pptp), PID 2151
          Apr 29 09:42:12 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' appeared; activating connections
          Apr 29 09:42:12 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> VPN plugin state changed: starting (3)
          Apr 29 09:42:37 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> VPN connection 'Anonine' (Connect) reply received.
          Apr 29 09:42:37 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <warn> VPN connection 'Anonine' failed to connect: 'Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.'.
          Apr 29 09:42:37 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> Policy set 'Wired connection 1' (eth0) as default for IPv4 routing and DNS.
          Apr 29 09:43:02 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <warn> error disconnecting VPN: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
          Apr 29 09:43:04 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <warn> VPN service 'pptp' died with signal 9
          Apr 29 09:43:04 Nicks-Dell NetworkManager[1112]: <info> VPN service 'pptp' disappeared

Comment

Is this your bug?

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=312963

Comment

No, that bug seems to be to do with actually being able to edit a connection properties or entering the details/settings

Comment

Working...
              X