This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i915 Video Tearing

'm using FOSS intel graphics drivers with Kernel 3.8.0-29 and Kubuntu 13.04. There seems to be video tear at the top of my screen. It's apparent when I'm dragging windows around or playing video back in full screen. I've been googling and apparently there's a tear free option that I can put into an xorg.conf file? However, I do not have an xorg.conf file and I am not familiar with the syntax to set one up.

So this is really a 2 part question. 1) I'd like to try to xorg.conf option, so what would I need to put into the file to set it up? 2) If that's not the way to fix this, has anyone found a way to fix it? I'm not looking to disable compositing, as it's just the top of the screen and I can sort of deal with it, but it's bumming me out.

Thanks.

What shows in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced and set Compositing type and QT graphics system and OpenGL Options > Tearing Prevention (VSync)?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      What shows in System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced and set Compositing type and QT graphics system and OpenGL Options > Tearing Prevention (VSync)?
      Compositing type is OpenGL and QT Graphics System is Native. Vsync is enabled.

Comment

Try setting Tearing Prevention (VSync) to Automatic.

Comment

I don't see that option

Comment

Uncheck Use VSync

Comment

Uncheck Use VSync
              That makes it worse. With vsync checked there is only tearing at the very top of the screen, but with it unchecked it happens all over.

Comment

Try setting Compositing type to xRandR.

Comment

This is the correct path but what you fail to recognize is that he isn't using 4.11. He needs to install 4.11 and then choose automatic. I would not switch to the XRender backend because it is pointless when one has a GPU that is capable enough at OpenGL.

Comment

Working...
                  X