This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Way To Manually Set Exhaust Fan Speed

Hello, I'm pretty new to Linux, but I'm fairly computer literate. I've tried Linux in the past and abandoned it because I couldn't get something to work as easily as I can in Windows. I think I've run into this situation again with fan control. I have a relatively old Abit IP35-e motherboard from around 2007. In Windows, I use a very nice and free program called Speedfan to monitor CPU temps and to control my fan speeds. I do not have any of my fans set to automatic control. I basically run my CPU fan at 100% 24/7 and run my exhaust fan at 80% because it is loud and doesn't need to run faster to keep the system cool. When I cold boot my computer or resume from sleep, the exhaust fan is running at 100%. I open Speedfan and click the down arrow to lower it to 80% and it lowers in real time. If I then reboot and boot into Kubuntu 13.04, the fan stays at 80%. However, if I sleep the computer in Kubuntu it will resume with the fan at 100% just like it does in Windows. It's not an issue in Windows though since I can easily lower it.

What I need is a way to set the exhaust fan to 80% without having to boot into Windows, then boot back into Kubuntu. If I have to boot into Windows to do it, I may as well keep using Windows while I'm in it. I cannot find any Linux software with a gui to control my fans. I did find GKrellm to at least have a gui for temp monitoring. I installed lm-sensors and fancontrol. I think lm-sensors, pwmconfig, and fancontrol all adjust fans automatically based on temp. This isn't what I want exactly, but I could make it work. I went through sensors-detect and it found:
    Driver `w83627ehf':
    * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `Winbond W83627DHG Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Driver `coretemp':
    * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

However, running sensors only shows temps, no fan speeds. When I run pwmconfig, I get: There are no pwm-capable sensor modules installed. So apparently lm-sensors can't help me control my fan speed I'm guessing. I'd love to have a gui to control the fans, but I'll take command line at this point just to get the fan to run quieter. Booting into Windows to lower the fan speed every time I want to use Kubuntu seems silly. If I had the money, I'd just install a nice fan control panel on the front in a drive bay or something, but that isn't an option for me right now. I'm open to suggestions on how to accomplish this with software. If it isn't possible, I'd like to know that too so I can figure something else out. Thanks!

Wow, umm, usually your board will speed up the fan(s) on its own when it warms up, especially pwm fan(s). This stuff works in WinDOHS because it's the Walmart of the computer world, everybody has to lick their bum if they want a piece of the action.

Comment

Ignotus wrote:

I have a relatively old Abit IP35-e motherboard from around 2007.
      Okaaay....... MY HAT IS DOFFED TO YOU!!!

The ONLY reason that I have not been booted OFF this board is that I run hardware that is older than some of the people who are the developers!

AN YOU THEN SHOW ME UP!!!

Hey....

I hate to say it but with Linux you either have"

a) "automatic" control
      b) this is it this is not Wendy's and you do not get it your own way...

HEY GUY!!!

I MEAN....THAT IS SOME CLASSIQUE hardware....and you are probably "stuck" with what Linux "provides"....

So your decision now is....

a) do you want a "larger" control, if not in reality, then at least in "possibility" in terms of the "Linux" "Gnu" "OpenSource"....."Liscence"....

or control over a fan.

HEY;.................

DO NOT BE A STRANGER...................I am sooooooo lonely....the only hardware kinda guy around here!!!! lol

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

this is not Wendy's and you do not get it your own way...
        woodsmoke, I think you mean Burger King.

Ignotus, Check out thinkfan. You can find it in the package manager for your Kubuntu release.

There is some info about thinkfan here.
        http://thinkfan.sourceforge.net/
        sigpic

Comment

I would love to make a 'manual exhaust' joke, but that would be just wrong, this is after all a family forum about Kubuntu, lol.

Comment

Working...
          X