This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mounting Nikon camera

How can I mount a Nikon D5200 camera via USB?

On Kubuntu 13.04, the USB device is detected, but attempting to load it gives error 150.

gphoto2 2.5.1 (Jan 2013) included support for the D5200, but Kubuntu 13.04 has gphoto2 2.4.14 (April 2012). The tarball for 2.5.1 is available from www.gphoto.org, but there doesn't seem to be a deb file available.

How can I get the current version of gphoto2 installed? (And why does the current version of Kubuntu / Ubuntu have a year old version of gphoto2?)

TIA

Peter

try digikam.
    sudo apt-get install digikam
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Hi
      thanks for your reply.

I tried digikam, it recognised the camera but couldn't see any of the images on it.

This is digikam 3.1.0, and its list of supported raw cameras doesn't include the D5200. During install, it said it requires gphoto2 2.4.10. But support for D5200 wasn't added to gphoto2 until 2.5.1 (as per above post).

Comment

Annoying when a camera is not recognised.

But not as annoying as how slow communication with the camera via USB will be.
        Presently my main cameras are a Canon G12 and a Nikon D800 and the wait for a transfer via direct USB link is plain unacceptable, even on the USB3 link the D800 has.
        Another issue is that utilities like Digikam insist on 'sorting' your pictures into a database and you loose control, plain copying by mains of the file manager is far more controlled and as said, much faster.
        And due to the slowness it really drains batteries!

You are MUCH better off getting a card reader and transfer your photo's that way.

Comment

Working...
        X