X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalyst 13.4 : X not working upon start [followed standard instructions]

Hi All

Running a HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with dual Intel & Radeon cards installed.

I have used the instructions from here to install the Catalyst drivers:
    http://askubuntu.com/a/286775/35775

Upon reboot, X does not work (I end up at a terminal). Manually running startx gets the same problem.
    I'll try to pipe the error messages & post them as well if needed. However the X logfile contains all the required info?
    The fglrx system is not being loaded as well.

It appears that X cannot find the right card in xorg.conf?
    I believe its using the right device.
    I have attached the xorg.conf file in use.

VGA devices are as follows, according to lspci:
    -- 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    -- 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6550M]

My graphics card is meant to be supported (& the X log says so?). The following URL confirms this:
    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...easenotes.aspx

My log file is also attached.

I am trying to run fglrx as it appears to solve problems I am having with two screens popping up on my laptop.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers, thanks

Andy
    Attached Files

Install now working (partiall)...

Update:

I have got the system basically working now, having tried a fglrx purge, then reinstall.

However I am getting no GLX output, although fglrx & glx appears to be installed.

Further info:

I had some strange things happening with the fglrx-uninstall saying some things had been changed since the previous installation.
    So I had to do a force (--force) with it.

Tried running fgl_glxgears, glxgears & no joy. Tried glxinfo & it gives me the same response:
    Code:
    asd@asd-laptop:~$ glxinfo
    name of display: :0
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
      Serial number of failed request:  12
      Current serial number in output stream:  12
    asd@asd-laptop:~$ glxinfo >> glx.txt
    X Error of failed request:  BadRequest (invalid request code or no such operation)
      Major opcode of failed request:  153 (GLX)
      Minor opcode of failed request:  19 (X_GLXQueryServerString)
      Serial number of failed request:  12
      Current serial number in output stream:  12
    I have noticed in the Xorg.0.log file that the intel driver is not being installed.
    I have had problems previously with a default Kubuntu installation getting very confused (thought I was running two monitors, one for each driver, but I was not).

xdriinfo tells me "Screen 0: not direct rendering capable." so something is definitely up.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, thanks

Andy
    Attached Files

Comment

More info:

I think I have narrowed down the problem as follows:

Running "sudo aticonfig --initial -f" tells me:

Code:
      Uninitialised file found, configuring.
      PowerXpress info: Diagnostic output from /usr/lib/fglrx/switchlibglx:
      update-alternatives: warning: forcing reinstallation of alternative /usr/lib/fglrx/ld.so.conf because link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf is broken
      update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalcl.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalcl.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
      update-alternatives: warning: skip creation of /usr/lib32/libaticalrt.so because associated file /usr/lib32/fglrx/libaticalrt.so (of link group i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) doesn't exist
      update-alternatives: warning: not replacing /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/xorg/extra-modules with a link

Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      Hope this helps.

Cheers

Andy

Comment

I had a similar problem. Couldn't get crossfire to enable using the latest drivers. It turns out that my HD 4870's aren't fully supported under the latest driver in the newest Kubuntu 13.04. It appears to be an Xorg thing. I found these instructions for adding a repository with a patched legacy driver and installing it. This repository also downgrades the X-server to 1.12.4.

Code:
        sudo add-apt-repository ppa:makson96/fglrx
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get upgrade
        sudo apt-get install fglrx-legacy
        This cleared it right up for me. It's working beautifully now.

Full details can be found at https://launchpad.net/~makson96/+archive/fglrx.

Comment

Hi deadtom

Thanks for the info.

I'll have a squizz at the URL and see whats up with the drivers.

Cheers, thanks

Andy

Comment

Working...
          X