X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Del Studio 1555 Screen Corrupt

Dear All,
    I tried upgrading my Dell Laptop from 12.04 to the new 13.04 and all I got was a corrupted Screen no visuals at all. The laptop is set up as dual boot using windows 7 as the other OS. I have used 12.04 Kubuntu since its release with no issues.
    So I decided to do a clean install of 12.04 onto the Laptop still dual boot as i need windows for the rest of the family. I get exactly the same error.

But if I run Kubuntu from the DVD (Try Kubuntu) it comes up to the desktop with no problems every time.

Please can you advise?

Tom

Originally posted by tsalt View Post
    Dear All,
    I tried upgrading my Dell Laptop from 12.04 to the new 13.04 and all I got was a corrupted Screen no visuals at all. The laptop is set up as dual boot using windows 7 as the other OS. I have used 12.04 Kubuntu since its release with no issues.
    So I decided to do a clean install of 12.04 onto the Laptop still dual boot as i need windows for the rest of the family. I get exactly the same error.

But if I run Kubuntu from the DVD (Try Kubuntu) it comes up to the desktop with no problems every time.

Please can you advise?

Tom
    Upgrades aren't always the smoothest things and people's mileage varies. Maybe just do a fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04 over your old 12.04 one. Be careful that you don't lose any important files. Now if you want to try an upgrade again this would be the process for 12.04 to 13.04.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    After the upgrade is done, reboot and hit these commands:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a
    Reboot.

Code:
    sudo do-release-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Reboot.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo dpkg --reconfigure -a
    Reboot.

* Some of these commands etc and steps could be redundant but I am trying to make sure that I calculate in most eventualities.

Comment

I tried a Fresh Install again with the same results.
      So I have now installed Ubuntu and this works fine. I shall add the KDE Desktop to Ubuntu which should give me what I require.

Thankyou for your time replying.

Comment

Working...
      X