This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP TrueVision HD built-in webcam not working [again]

UPDATE 15 May 2013 -> This seems to have been resolved after having installed libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_i386.deb which I needed for Skype to run.

Okay here's again:

I've got an HP Pavilion DM1 netbook with Kubuntu 13.04 installed. The built-in webcam, a TrueVision, isn't working.
    LSUSB output:
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 064e:d217 Suyin Corp. (this is the built-in webcam - not working)
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:0825 Logitech, Inc. Webcam C270 (this is a usb plug-in webcam that I'm currently using - works perfectly in Cheese, Skype etc)

Now it's not a major issue for the webcam not to be working, it's more of a convenience factor than an essential one (and I don't feel like lugging a usb webcam around to town with me either).
    This webcam was working at one stage in Kubuntu 12.10 (a few weeks ago) after an update got the issues I had sorted.
    Did a fresh install of Kubuntu 13.04 as something had gone wrong with the update and the laptop wasn't working as it should and now I'm back to square one with the non-working webcam issue.
    Last edited by snowflake_nz; May 15, 2013, 04:38 PM. Reason: Solution has been found

Maybe you got a kernel upgrade. If I were you I'd run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    then do the reboot. I know its odd for a linux install but no harm in trying.

Did it help? If no then read on.

Are you in the "video" group? Needed command to fix:
    Code:
    sudo usermod -a -G video <username>
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 12, 2013, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Does your integrated webcam work if you run from a LiveCD of 13.04?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi dmeyer
        sorry for the late reply, been down with a sick child at home.
        Anyway did try the 2 commands and nothing. I've done some Google-ing and it seems that HP (especially TrueVision) is a mission to get working. So I'll try a few things, and if I break my install it's okay because I don't keep any valuable data on my notebook anyway, it's all on an external hdd so fresh install is not an issue either

Comment

Hi Snowhog
          tried with the liveCD and still nothing. Did try the usb webcam and that works.
          Like I said, I'd like to get it working, but am not going to hold my breath. I suspect it's got more to do with Hp and TrueVision that anything Linux. I've done a bit of Google-ing and everything that I've read so far seems to point to using a usb camera as the only solution.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Does your integrated webcam work if you run from a LiveCD of 13.04?

Comment

Originally posted by snowflake_nz View Post
            Hi Snowhog
            tried with the liveCD and still nothing. Did try the usb webcam and that works.
            Like I said, I'd like to get it working, but am not going to hold my breath. I suspect it's got more to do with Hp and TrueVision that anything Linux. I've done a bit of Google-ing and everything that I've read so far seems to point to using a usb camera as the only solution.
            Hmm, I looked around for a solution. It seems like it should work but there are issues. I wonder if trying a newer Kernel might work? I read on the Arch forums that the guilty party may be udev so maybe we might need to write a rule for it.

Comment

Hi dmeyer
              tried the 3.9 Kernel and it didn't resolve the issue, but I did find that after installing libqtwebkit4_2.2.1-4ubuntu1_i386.deb it's kind of resolved itself. Needed the libqtwebkit because Skype would just hang.

Comment

Working...
              X