X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White noise from CM106 like sound device - internal laptop soundcard fine

Hi,

I'm using 13.04 and up until this morning have had very few problems with it.

My Acer laptop's internal sound works fine, but when I use my external speakers (USB connection, to a Toshiba Dynadock U10), all I now get is a hissing white noise through the speakers. Up until yesterday, external sound was perfect.

I did some minor software updates last night, and this morning is my first boot since those updates, but that is surely just coincidental..?

Any ideas how to get my CM106 like sound device up and running again?

Thanks very much - Steven.

Have you checked your phonon settings?

Comment

My Phonon settings are as they should be (and as they were, so unchanged).

When i hit 'Test', I get the nasty white noise. I have currently 'reordered' my preferred devices to default to the onboard soundcard of my laptop.

Comment

GStreamer was the default (and only) backend. I've now added VLC backend, and the noise is pretty much just as bad, although I can just make out the 'Front left' and 'Front right' test speech.

Comment

Originally posted by castletonroad View Post
          GStreamer was the default (and only) backend. I've now added VLC backend, and the noise is pretty much just as bad, although I can just make out the 'Front left' and 'Front right' test speech.
          This is a weird error. Open Konsole and run alsamixer, maybe try muting some of the things and testing again. I know that on some devices that mic boost can do that.

Comment

Good spot!

I actually reselected GStreamer, and rebooted, and all seemed well again.

However, running Alsamixer showed that Headphone, Speaker & PCM were all set to max, in the red! I've now reset these to something in te green.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

PS, there's also an Alsamixergui.

Comment

Working...
              X