Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My system clock has jumped back 10 hours!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My system clock has jumped back 10 hours!

I awoke my desktop machine this morning to notice that the clock has rewound back 10 hours. The timezone is still correct (+10 Queensland,Australia), but the time isn't. Running ntpdate pool.ntp.org doesn't fix anything either.

What's going on? What further information do I need to provide to resolve this?

Running the following commands seems to have fixed it:

$sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
    $sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org

Any ideas what went wrong?

Comment

You inadvertently used the mouse wheel on the date widget? That would change your time zone to UTC for that widget. (Others have reported doing that.)

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
        You inadvertently used the mouse wheel on the date widget? That would change your time zone to UTC for that widget. (Others have reported doing that.)

Regards, John Little
        When I right-clicked the clock, selected Adjust Date & Time and then looked at the Time Zone tab, the timezone was still set to the correct timezone.

Comment

The past several weeks I have also been suffering inexplicable time issues.
          I tried the various remedies suggested but they usually only lasted for minutes to an hour.

One issue I noticed is you can have more than one time zone selected simultaneous, when one of them involves London (that place in England on Albion) things won't stick.
          Like now I've got Amsterdam as 'home' and moved to Jakarta without any problems.

Comment

Thanks for the fix. This solved my problem also as coming to Ottawa, CA from Vietnam had 'confused' my clock and it would not show the correct CA time no matter how often I changed it.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X