This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail startup problems and unexplained errors in .xsession-errors file

I was originally a happy 12.04 Kubuntu user and then I did a simple security upgrade a week or so ago. Unfortunately that broke my system (see my posting under the 12.04 section). After much discussion I decided to upgrade to 12.10. Some stability returned, but my kmail app went completely wonky (see my postings under the 12.10 section). I was getting intermittent screen artifacts and mouse dropouts. One of the errors I was seeing in dmesg indicated that my GPU was hung out to dry. After a conversation with the folks at the Intel Open Source development center they suggested that I needed to be at Linux 3.8. So here I am with Kubuntu 13.04 beta. GPU errors have been cured but my kmail problems and .xsession-errors have not disappeared.

At risk of having repetition in the forum archive here is a sampling of the .xsession-errors:

===
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.

QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""

X Error: BadAtom (invalid Atom parameter) 5
    Major opcode: 18 (X_ChangeProperty)
    Resource id: 0x0

kwin(1823): ""fsrestore1" - conversion of "0,0,0,0" to QRect failed"

plasma-desktop(1833)/libplasma Plasma::isPluginVersionCompatible: unversioned plugin detected, may result in instability

X Error: BadPixmap (invalid Pixmap parameter) 4
    Major opcode: 54 (X_FreePixmap)
    Resource id: 0x22000c2

akonaditray(1872)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"

I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/home/bob/.qalculate/eurofxref-daily.xml"

kmail2(1899)/libakonadi Akonadi::AgentManagerPrivate::createDBusInterface: AgentManager failed to get a valid AgentManager DBus interface. Error is: 1 "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner" "Could not get owner of name 'org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Control': no such name"
    kmail2(1899)/libakonadi Akonadi::SessionPrivate::socketError: Socket error occurred: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"

kwalletd(1805)/kdeui (Wallet) KWalletD::setupDialog: Application ' "KMail" ' using kwallet without parent window!

(process:2123): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion `sys_page_size == 0' failed

akonadi_pop3_resource_0(2051)/akonadiresource (pop3) POP3Resource::cancelSync: ============== ERROR DURING POP3 SYNC ==========================
    akonadi_pop3_resource_0(2051)/akonadiresource (pop3) POP3Resource::cancelSync: "No username and password supplied."
    akonadi_pop3_resource_0(2051)/akonadiresource (pop3) POP3Resource::saveSeenUIDList: UID list from server is not valid.

QDir::mkpath: Empty or null file name(s)

===

Any ideas on how to cure them? Any suggestions of other places I can ask for help in finding answers?

Thanks in advance for your help.

bob

If you do a general Google on the kubuntu/Ubuntu artifacts #Bug you will see that it rears it's ugly head from time to time as far back as version 9.04.
    Here is some info that when applied helped me out on a few occasions. Directly from the Arch Wiki.
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...ear_when_on_2D
    Go immediately to the section Headed
    Graphical related issues
    Hope this is of help.

Comment

sqlpython: Thanks. My GPU problems seem to be gone now that I'm at Linux v3.8 with Kubuntu 13.04.

Just did an experiment with kmail. I booted my machine and then clicked to startup kmail. The icon began to bounce as per normal then after about 20sec all evidence of startup activity disappeared. I then waited. 2min5sec later kmail came up! complete with slow switching between folders etc.

What is going on here?

bob

Comment

Now that I have a stable GPU, I decided to go back and retry a suggestion from earlier: to turn off the semantic desktop. kmail now comes up first go and folder changes work ... not particularly snappy but at least they work. The kwallet prompt for my email passwords still comes up ahead of the kmail gui, however.

I now have a whole slew of different errors and warnings in my .xsession-errors file, including multiples of things like:

===
        QDir::mkpath: Empty or null file name(s)

QStringList Akonadi::NepomukSearch::search(const QString&) Calling blockingQuery() failed!
        Q
        ===

I must say this exercise has left me "disappointed" with the departure from a "simpler is better" philosophy on the part of the KDE developers.

bob

Comment

Working...
        X