Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot load session "gnome" - unable to log in normally.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot load session "gnome" - unable to log in normally.

I just discovered this error message in the process of making some changes to speed up KDE. I could not make the changes because my computer is running in 'failsafe' mode. This may have been introduced when I had a problem with the gnome keyring that prevented me from getting to wireless networking.

The only gnome application/files I loaded on the computer is actually the gnome network manager and the nm-applet. that is also when the keyring problem arose.

I have since removed the gnome network-manager and all related files. I most likely did not purge them though.
    Since I have a major problem with the network icon that disappeared and all my network settings, I presume that this all has something to do with some leftover gnome file.

The problem affects all kernel versions running on this partition: 13.04 in version rc4, rc5 and kernel 3.8.6.
    12.10 is not affected because it is running on its own partition.

The question now is how to identify and to purge anything 'gnome' from the partition/kernel installations without damaging my main installation.
    I cannot do a complete re-installation because my laptop does not recognize a DVD in the drive even though the drive is marked CD/DVD.

Any ideas and suggestions that solve the problem, please?

With as much detail as you can, please describe these changes you made.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      With as much detail as you can, please describe these changes you made.
      Please give me a day or so. I am swamped with the other issue.
      Thanks for the response.

Comment

Considering the plethora of ever changing issues I have with 13.04 I decided to re-install 13.04.

All issues affect only one partition and the kernel versions residing there. And I am almost certain that the ever changing number of related problems has something to do with the fact that for some reason I can only lof in using 'failsafe' mode.

Today Kubuntu 13.03 refused to recognize a flash drive it did so merrily for the last weeks blaming a issue with 'authorization'.
        That's it.
        Re-installing.

Thank you for offering to assist me with this problem.
        P

Comment

Working...
        X