This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just noticed this...

The GRUB menu shows "Kubuntu GNU/Linux" without version no. now whereas before it just had "Ubuntu xx.xx ...". All I did was upgrade to the newest Linux kernel. Very cool I say. How would it know that I have Kubuntu/KDE and not Ubuntu, Xubuntu or any other Ubuntu derivative, official or not?
    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Choose the second option in the GRUB list, and then you'll see another menu that displays everything GRUB knows.

No, I have no idea why people think this is "better."

Comment

I 'll have to just do that next time I boot up.
      The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
        Choose the second option in the GRUB list, and then you'll see another menu that displays everything GRUB knows.

Its less confusing for new users because its so much cleaner and it helps to not have to see a ton of entries with confusing numbers. I just prefer it when things are cleaner.

Comment

I wonder if anyone's evaluted this in a user experience lab. Were people really confused by seeing multiple kernels on the first screen? We know that some people are confused by the new layout.

I don't use GRUB now, but isn't it true that Ubuntu's default is to hide the menu anyway and boot the first thing? If that's the case, then this change means that people who want to select an alternate kernel have to do more work than before. Granted, it's only a couple more keystrokes. But this trend toward general simplification just to please one set of users is actually troublesome. How many additional J. Random Newbies will we get because GRUB is "less confusing" now?

Comment

I wonder if anyone's evaluted this in a user experience lab. Were people really confused by seeing multiple kernels on the first screen? We know that some people are confused by the new layout.

I don't use GRUB now, but isn't it true that Ubuntu's default is to hide the menu anyway and boot the first thing? If that's the case, then this change means that people who want to select an alternate kernel have to do more work than before. Granted, it's only a couple more keystrokes. But this trend toward general simplification just to please one set of users is actually troublesome. How many additional J. Random Newbies will we get because GRUB is "less confusing" now?
            Agreed, sometimes it becomes too much, but generally speaking I don't mind them cleaning stuff up, but I do mind removing options.

Comment

Well, it is better than my Kubuntu 13.04 test installs calling themselves Ubuntu! Makes it really hard to know which one to select when you have three flavors of Ubuntu all called Ubuntu in the boot menu.

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                Well, it is better than my Kubuntu 13.04 test installs calling themselves Ubuntu! Makes it really hard to know which one to select when you have three flavors of Ubuntu all called Ubuntu in the boot menu.
                You can customize the names so you don't have to rely on Kernel versions!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
                  You can customize the names so you don't have to rely on Kernel versions!!!
                  Yeah, I know, I tend not to do things like that during testing, though so as to keep a vanilla install. Imagine my surprise, though after installing 13.04 test versions of Ubuntu, Ubuntu Gnome, Kubuntu and Xubuntu all on the same machine from USB sticks. When I finally went to boot the first time to evaluate them, they all said Ubuntu and I had to go into the grub line to see which partition they were booting from to know which one was which. Obviously not a problem most users would have, but still a surprise.

Comment

me either ,,,,,,,,like plymouth , why would you not want to see the kernel messages wile booting , you may get a clue on problems .

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                      me either ,,,,,,,,like plymouth , why would you not want to see the kernel messages wile booting , you may get a clue on problems .
                      Three years later, people are still griping about Plymouth hard dependency in Launchpad bug 556372!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

VINNY
                        Plymouth == Amazing. It's so pretty! Plus tons of text on boot-up is unnecessary. Only when there is a problem do I need to see the crap-tons of text and to be honest I haven't run into issues when booting in so long on any PC I've owned or installed on in the last 3 years. Its really easy to see the text if you really want. Just hit Esc to see it.

Disclaimer: I don't touch Ati/AMD hardware. I own none, have never, and will never.

Comment

Working...
                        X