Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Cannot open ControlKit...' - another annoying error message.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PJJ has "Seat 2", although in Post #5 it looks like he was getting Seat 1. That implies to my little mind that Seat 1 hung or died at some time in the past, and possibly remains so.

My (weak) google-foo suggests that this might be worth a shot:

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dbus
    (Possibly that would need to be done outside of X, i.e. in the recovery mode console.)
    Last edited by dibl; Apr 17, 2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      . . . I wonder if some of the tinkering you described in your previous post might have ended up leaving your system in something of a confused state?
      Certainly - and in a much confused state.

I just followed your code instructions above. The error message regarding ConsoleKit is gone.
      But so is my wi-fi and my ability to shutdown or restart the computer using the standard screens.

I can only shut down via CLI command.

Will go back to 13.04, execute Dibls suggestion, possibly put KDM back on (because it worked without error message before I took it off) and then report back.

Besides having had an unexpected shutdown (power problem) recently (as Dibl suspected) I also think that the entire issue was/is created by the disappearing network manager icon, the nm-applet and my attempts to use gnome network-manager to better manage/install wimax.

In the long run the best solution might be to reinstall 13.03-rc? after reformatting the partition.
      Problem is data backup, how the easiest and which.

Comment

After a few more surprises created by new issues popping up, I have decided to re-install 13.04 from scratch. Today I could not log in at all any longer. Could not get to the login screen. Computer hangs.
        I am convinced that many of the problems described here and in my other posts have something to do with the fact that I can only log into failsafe mode.

The time it takes to determine what causes that problem get me at least halfway through the re-installation process.
        Thank you all for your willingness to help me with the problems.
        I dislike calling this 'abandoning' the thread and therefore leave it up to the moderator to mark my three threads according to his decision.
        Last edited by PJJ; Apr 18, 2013, 02:28 PM. Reason: Explain main reason for my decision to reinstall.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl View Post
          PJJ has "Seat 2", although in Post #5 it looks like he was getting Seat 1. That implies to my little mind that Seat 1 hung or died at some time in the past, and possibly remains so.
          Sorry for not getting back sooner. I forgot to get back to your post. It was a good thing, because menawhile I remembered that I had a sudden power outage while compiling/installing modules.
          It made my kernel-8.8 installation unusable. I uninstalled it.
          But apparently some of the files continued to hang around.

Comment

Working...
          X