Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it is not 'solved' in a true sense. It is solved in a radical way - possibly the only way.
    A final thought and a possible explanation for the many and ever changing issues described in this thread and my two other threads that are somewhat related.

Originally I updated from Kubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 and then on to 13.04.
    Everything installd without any problem. My new 13.04 worked flawlessly and without a hitch.
    Then my adventurous nature that likes a challenge prompted me to 'upgrade' directly to the latest and cutting edge incarnation of 13.04 - kernel version 3.9-rc5..
    That went fine as well at first.
    In the course of my daily use of the new installation small irregularities crept up. They got worse and worse in a short time. Major issues come along and made me post two main threads. This one and the post about ControlKit.

None of the helpful hints (for which I am grateful) solved the problems permanently. Many worked one time and then started a new round of issues. That is when I decided to reinstall the entire system.

My conclusion and a caveat for other computer users with an adventurous nature:
    Since my troubles started only after I had installed the then latest test version of Raring Ringtail from a set of debian packages (.deb), it is very likely that foundations for the issues were laid during installation from the .deb packages.
    I read somewhere that .deb packages are not completely compatible with Kubuntu. And my troubles may just have been proof for that.

Though installing fron .deb packages appears to be a nice workaround to avoid cumbersome installation from tarballs, the trouble that can come with it is not worth the time saved.

My advice:
    Do not install Kubuntu from .deb packages until Kubuntu and truly debian packages are better synchronized.
    I could have saved myself and the helpful members of this forum a lot of time by heading my own (belated) advice.

I found debian packages for the then current rc5 kernel, downloaded the .deb packages and had them installed by QDebi
    Last edited by PJJ; Apr 20, 2013, 12:14 PM. Reason: truncated

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ View Post
      Since my troubles started only after I had installed the then latest test version of Raring Ringtail from a set of debian packages (.deb), it is very likely that foundations for the issues were laid during installation from the .deb packages.
      I read somewhere that .deb packages are not completely compatible with Kubuntu. And my troubles may just have been proof for that.

Though installing fron .deb packages appears to be a nice workaround to avoid cumbersome installation from tarballs, the trouble that can come with it is not worth the time saved.
      Would you mind explaining this a little more? Which DEB files do you mean? All the *buntus, being Debian-derived, distribute DEB packages, so it's perfectly normal for us. But are you saying that you downloaded the entire set of Ubuntu DEBs and hand-built a system from that using dpkg? If so, then I can understand how this would create rather an unstable system. It's much better to let apt-get or Aptitude handle this chore, because they will be better than any human at performing dependency resolution

Comment

No, I won't mind.
        More or less by directed accident I came upon this site:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/

There I found .deb packages for Kubuntu-3.9-rc 5 (and rc6 at that time). I downloaded the required packages (3 or 4 of them) and installed them by clicking on each of them. One after another. Each time the default installer started and installed the packages.
        I did not use dpkg - as far as I remember, though I believe the website that referred me to the site above suggested using dpkg.

Neither one of the packages was in Muon or Synaptic and, I believe, apt-get did not find them either.
        I was directed to the site above by another website that had instructions for updating a current Kubuntu installation.

The name of that website was obliterated together with other unimportant data when I reinstalled the system.

Hope this helps.

The most current deb packages on the ppa site came with unsatisfied dependencies. I did not use them - though I was mightily tempted.
        Installed the system the hard way instead - updating step by step from 12.04 to 13.04.
        It worked and I am using the new installation right now.

Comment

Working...
        X