This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heads up: nvidia-310 on kernel 3.8.0-17-generic fails to build

Nvidia-304 (also nvidia-current, which at present points to 304) was a disaster, so I installed nvidia-310-updates. It worked well until today, when the 3.8.0-17-generic (amd64) kernel was installed by an update. At that point, 310 failed to build, and consequently, no kde.

Installing nvidia-313-updates and nvidia-settings-313-updates fixed the problem.

Forewarned is forearmed.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

The nvidia driver wouldn't load after I upgraded to Raring. I uninstalled it and was pleasantly suprised to find that the nouveau driver now works in the last spot holding me to the nvidia drivers (citrix stuff in a windows vm would lose the mouse cursor).

Comment

Based on this report I had a look what I installed a couple of weeks ago, nvidia-313, that explains last nights kernel went upgrade without problems

Comment

Unfortunately for me, hibernate and sleep crash KDE (on restore) with the nouveau driver. Nvida works fine.

Comment

nVidia might not be very forthcoming to the Kernel people with necessary info for the development of nouveau but the binaries are pretty good these days.
          Already since a couple of releases suspend to RAM and suspend to disk work fine on the Thinkpad although I do have to do a few extra and well documented steps to get the latter enabled.
          This morning I read their latest version 319 will have improved support for Optimus.
          http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTM0NzE
          https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/t...-319-12-beta-/

Comment

Nouveau has come a long way. I can actually play 3d games under wine using them. Performance is TERRIBLE, but I can play them.

... still plan to move back to the nvidia drivers once all the bumps get sorted out, though.

Comment

Working...
            X