X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail search not working

Hello,

since a long time search is not working in kmail on my computer. Searches did not list any resuls, and virtuoso ate up my CPU. Yesterday, I tried to solve the problem and did some internet research. I tried a lot of the suggestions there and ended up installing 13.04 (from 12.10). That solved the virtuoso issue - it doesn't use 100% of the CPU anymore.
    But search in kmail still doesn't give correct results. So I started to have a close look on what is going on on my system.

First of all, I had a look at the Akonadi Server Self-Test - KDE Control Module.
    It says, that the MySQL server log contains errors. Please see the the attached akonadi-selftest-report file.

Next, I started akonadi from commandline (akonadictl start). Please see the attached akonadi_startup.txt file
    There are a lot of errors in there, too. In the beginning, there are some errors related to MySQL, all these failed insert statements.
    At the end, there is a very interesting line starting with "akonadi_nepomuk_feeder.. "

So these are the issues that should be solved in my opinion:
    1) Fix MySQL database so it starts up without erros.
    2) Fix TableData so akonadi can insert what has to be inserted.
    3) Support Feeder for type "inode/directory"

Anyone an idea how this can be done?
    best regards
    Hans-Peter
    Attached Files

Sometimes deleting all the Akonadi databases and allowing them to recreate can fix these problems. Where is your email -- on an IMAP server someplace, perhaps?

Comment

Mail is located in a local mail directory. As far as I understand, akonadi stores metadata only. So I wouldn't care about deleting all akonadi related stuff, but I don't know wether akonadi would recreate his resources on startup. So I tried a somewhat softer approach: I configured the akonadi server package - but no result. I didn't want to remove the package because of the mass of dependencies.

Comment

I believe that Steve meant to do something like the following rather than re-install (or purge) akonadi:
        Stop akonadi, delete akonadi database directory, restart akonadi

$ akonadictl stop
        # now wait a while until it actually stops
        $ cd ~/.local/share
        $ rm -r akonadi
        $ akonadictl start

This should not delete the contents of your email so long as your "Local Folder" for email is not under "~/.local/share/akonadi".
        Unfortunately, some of your settings will be lost (default Trash, Sent Mail, & Drafts folders) may need to be re-configured.

Comment

I stopped the akonadi server, renamed the akonadi directory and started akonadi server. After that, SQL Server log didn't show any error. akonadi server error log stated that: "Nepomuk Query Server not available"
          but:
          hp@hp:~$ ps -ef |grep nep
          hp 2249 2199 0 20:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/akonadi_nepomuk_feeder --identifier akonadi_nepomuk_feeder
          hp 2273 1 0 20:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukserver
          hp 2275 2273 0 20:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
          hp 2325 1 0 20:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukcontroller -session 10687000000136458467800000035350019_1364585041_340 728
          hp 2398 2273 0 20:24 ? 00:00:00 /usr/bin/nepomukservicestub nepomukfilewatch
          hp 2570 2438 0 20:28 pts/0 00:00:00 grep nep

akonadi nepomuk feeder (in akonadiconsole) said: "Waiting for the nepomuk server to start" and then "Nepomuk server not operational".
          So I killed all the nepomuk processes and started nepomukserver again. After removing and adding akonadi nepomuk feeder, some agents started
          indexing, including akonadi nepomuk feeder. virtuoso took 100% cpu for a few minutes. After virtuso calmed down, akonadi nepomuk feeder said: "Ready to index data".
          I tried a search in kmail and got some results and a somewhat strange looking result list. I guess the result was not correct. I will investigate that.

Question now is: why can't akonadi (akonadi nepomuk feeder) connect autmatically to nepomuk?

Comment

Try it again, and this time, also delete the ~/.config/akonadi subdirectory. This should trigger the creation of all-new Akonadi resource files.

Comment

Removed ~/.local/share/akonadi and ~/.config akonadi. After that, all akonadi resources except "local folders" were gone. Akonadi still reported, that Nepomuk is not available
              and so did akonadi nepomuk feeder. Later on, akonadi error log held tons of messages like that one:

Error during executing query "INSERT INTO CollectionPimItemRelation (Collection_id, PimItem_id) VALUES (:0, :1)" : "Cannot add or update a child row: a foreign key constraint fails (`akonadi`.`collectionpimitemrelation`, CONSTRAINT `collectionpimitemrelation_ibfk_2` FOREIGN KEY (`PimItem_id`) REFERENCES `pimitemtable` (`id`) ON DELETE CASCADE ON UPDATE CASCADE) QMYSQL3: Unable to execute statement"
              Error during executing query "INSERT INTO CollectionPimItemRelation (Collection_id, PimItem_id) VALUES (:0, :1)" : "Cannot add or update

Kmail search, of course, does strange things.

Perhaps I give up on that thing and wait for a few weeks. Maybe developers can sort it out...

Comment

I feel like we're guessing at this point. Maybe the Nepomuk databases need to be recreated? Stop Akonadi, delete all that stuff (again), and also delete these subdirectories:

~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
                ~/.kde/share/apps/akonadi_nepomuk_feeder

Comment

OK, removed all four directories.

~/.local/share/akonadi
                  ~/.config/akonadi
                  ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk
                  ~/.kde/share/apps/akonadi_nepomuk_feeder

Prior to that, I stopped all nepomuk processes and all akonadi processes.
                  After removing the directories, I rebooted the machine.

Akonadi error log now says: Nepomuk Query Server not available

Top shows this:

PID USER PR NI VIRT RES SHR S %CPU %MEM TIME+ COMMAND
                  2271 hp 20 0 237m 35m 6212 S 68.7 0.9 0:52.73 mysqld
                  2238 hp 20 0 173m 9996 6600 S 40.2 0.3 0:31.34 akonadiserver
                  2307 hp 20 0 91256 19m 15m S 8.0 0.5 0:06.22 akonadi_maildis
                  1431 root 20 0 98.1m 41m 24m S 5.6 1.1 0:02.74 Xorg
                  2380 hp 20 0 117m 27m 20m S 4.3 0.7 0:01.20 konsole

It seems as if akonadi and mysql are keeping themselfes busy, because after 10 minutes of running, it is still the same situation.

So I did a second reboot. All directories in place, no configuration, update whatsoever.
                  After login, mysqld and akonadi don't use any cpu. Akonadi error log still shows:
                  Nepomuk Query Server not available.
                  ??
                  Last edited by hpg; Apr 01, 2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Wow. OK, more surgery:

Code:
                    rm ~/.kde/share/config/nepomuk*

Comment

I did a clean erase:
                      Stop all the processes involved (*ako* *nepo*)
                      Remove the 4 directories
                      Remove ~/.kde/share/config/nepom*
                      Remove ~/.kde/share/config/akona* !!!!
                      Reboot Machine
                      Result: Virtuoso consuming lots of cpu after login, but disabling file indexing in nepomuk controller stopped virtuoso.
                      Akonadi error log says, guess what: Nepomuk Query Server not available.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                        Wow. OK, more surgery:

Code:
                        rm ~/.kde/share/config/nepomuk*
                        thanks SR I did not know that!

woodgratefulsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by hpg View Post
                          Akonadi error log says, guess what: Nepomuk Query Server not available.
                          I don't know, then. Weird. Perhaps posting a question on the KDE forums might be helpful at this point?

Comment

Ok. I'll post the issue on the kde forums. I'll report back the outcome.

Comment

The sympthom is a bug that's already reported ( https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=315985 ).
                              SR, many thanks for the help, you gave great advice.
                              hp

Comment

Working...
                              X