This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTK apps freeze if non root in kubuntu raring

Hello everybody and wishes for a very happy new year.

I am testing latest raring kubuntu and have some problems with gtk apps,
    which are described here ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2098747

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    Panagiotis Papadakos

In the Ubuntu Forums thread, you said that you launched these GUI applications using 'sudo'. NOT a good thing! This has the potential of creating problems with your user account. When you need to launch a GUI application from the console, use kdesudo instead.

First thing is to ensure that what's in your user home directory is owned/controlled by you. Open a console. You are supposed to be in your user home directory. Type:
    Code:
    pwd
    and press enter. You should see:
    Code:
    /home/user
    where 'user' is your user name used to log on with. If it is, then type:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R user:user
    where 'user' is your user name you log on with. This will ensure that all files/directories in your user home directory are owned by you and not root.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Any error message trying to run a Gtk application from the command line (NOT using sudo)?
      That would be the best place to start looking.

Running any gui application using sudo quite often messes up a user's configuration files, so use kdesudo instead to eliminate this occurrence.

If you are getting errors that point to this as a problem, you can fix this by resetting the permissions on your home folder like so:
      Code:
      sudo chown -Rv <your-username>:<your-username> /home/<your-username>

Comment

Thanks for the answers.

Unfortunately, this does not help, since as I posted in the ubuntu forums even if I create new users
        and login for the first time in kde, firefox and chrome still have problems.
        Only with sudo i can use gtk applications with no freezes.

I don't know if this is related somehow to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0/+bug/1075928
        since I get this message in the console, for both root and simple user.

Thanks again.

Comment

That bug is just a bunch of useless messages in a terminal window, the programs still run properly so I do not think this is part of your problem at all.

Pasting the output here of what happens when you run a Gtk program by opening it from a terminal would be really really really helpful we can't assist unless we can try and find a cause, the last lines you see when the program freezes might hopefully give us a clue. Without any specific feedback no one can know what may be going on here.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not use sudo to run your GUI programs!!! You greatly risk having permission problems that could make using your desktop, even logging in, difficult to impossible without fixing the permissions.

Use "kdesudo' in place of sudo. Does this work

Have you run dist-upgrade to install any updates?? perhaps there is a broken/missing/misconfigured Gtk library file that is causing this.
          Being that Raring is still fairly early in it's development, many odd tings can happen along the way. Users must be prepared to have problems along the way, even if it is stable most of the time these days.

Garçon, where is my Development Version caveats sticky post
          Last edited by claydoh; Dec 30, 2012, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Garçon, where is my Development Version caveats sticky post
            (Garçon) "Sir, it's right where you left it. Sir, while we promptly provide all our customers with the menu, they must choose to read it."

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              (Garçon) "Sir, it's right where you left it. Sir, while we promptly provide all our customers with the menu, they must choose to read it."
              But Mssr. Garçon it has been relegated to the nether regions of your fine menu where it will be in danger of being overlooked. This will reflect on the tip I leave for the staff member who prepared that item! Hmpf!!

(I fixed that, stickied the post)

Comment

(Garçon) "Sir, thank you for your understanding. The management values all of our customers, and the care shown our customers by staff is of the utmost concern. The busboy, Mr. SteveRiley, who took it upon himself to prepare that menu, and who was careless in his duties to ensure it was prominently posted has been properly 'addressed'. On behalf of management, my sincerest apologies."

Comment

You'd think, after so many pre-release forums, and the predictability of a six-month cadence, that the patrons would eventually figure out on their bloody own that there be dragons ahead! But nooooooooooo, everybody expects to be mollycoddled and made to feel special and the damn lawyers demand ridiculous warning labels ("of course the coffee is hot, you dork!") and the people with the money hide behind turgid legalese that'll make your head explode if you endeavor to devote even a shred of a neuron to comprehension OMG I am gonna start throwing the dishes in my buspan all over this $DEITYforsaken place and THEN well I'm just gettin' started with all you malodorous morons and I'll get you yeah I will!

Comment

Hi again.

I know the risks of running an unstable branch (I've been on unstable branch since the hardy days).
                    dist-upgrade does not report any packages to be installed.

Below is the output of pidgin.
                    Code:
                    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
                    Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/conf.d/50-user.conf", line 9: reading configurations from ~/.fonts.conf is deprecated.
                    Apps like pidgin or gimp, when they freeze I have to kill them through tty0 (i.e. X is not responsive).
                    For firefox and chrome I can: click on taskbar or window decoration -> press close -> a pop-up that the window
                    is unresponsive appears -> and I press terminate application.

This bug bugs me for at least 2 months. And I just remembered that it started happening when I upgraded to 2.16 glibc
                    or near then. Maybe I have to downgrade to 2.15 (hope that it is safe).

Happy new year to everybody
                    Last edited by Panagiotis Papadakos; Dec 31, 2012, 12:41 PM.

Comment

If it has been this long, my suggestion is too run the latest daily image in a live session to see if the problem exists, and possibly reinstall.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

I remember when I first started using Linux and I upgraded to an alpha build of Ubuntu. Why did I do that? Cause it was an upgrade damn it and upgrades are good. I want the damn upgraded version. I was getting all these bugs and crashes and I was like Linux Suuuuxxxx! The only good thing was that because I didn't know what the hell I was doing I could just reinstall. It's been about 6 or 7 years now and I finally know what the hell I'm doing. I love Linux now and I hate proprietary so much more. Because I don't like being restricted by companies for the sole purpose of protecting their profits. When I buy something I do not want to be told how I can use it. It's mine at that point. My property.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                          You'd think, after so many pre-release forums, and the predictability of a six-month cadence, that the patrons would eventually figure out on their bloody own that there be dragons ahead! But nooooooooooo, everybody expects to be mollycoddled and made to feel special and the damn lawyers demand ridiculous warning labels ("of course the coffee is hot, you dork!") and the people with the money hide behind turgid legalese that'll make your head explode if you endeavor to devote even a shred of a neuron to comprehension OMG I am gonna start throwing the dishes in my buspan all over this $DEITYforsaken place and THEN well I'm just gettin' started with all you malodorous morons and I'll get you yeah I will!
                          Hahahahaha!!!!!

Push one of your buttons did we?

Comment

Originally posted by Panagiotis Papadakos View Post
                            Hi again.

Below is the output of pidgin.
                            Code:
                            Apps like pidgin or gimp, when they freeze I have to kill them through tty0 (i.e. X is not responsive).
                            For firefox and chrome I can: click on taskbar or window decoration -> press close -> a pop-up that the window
                            is unresponsive appears -> and I press terminate application.

This bug bugs me for at least 2 months. And I just remembered that it started happening when I upgraded to 2.16 glibc
                            or near then. Maybe I have to downgrade to 2.15 (hope that it is safe).
                            On my laptop, running 12.10, I do see the Fontconfig warning, but no freezing.

On my desktop, with raring, I do have the freezing, not sure if there are fontconfig warnings there, though.

Comment

Well it seems I found a solution. I have to disable gtk sound notifications, like in
                              https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....0/+bug/666921
                              or by removing libcanberra-gtk-module package.

Up to now everything is ok... So it seems related to a sound problem?
                              Last edited by Panagiotis Papadakos; Jan 01, 2013, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X