This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nepomuk search by content doesn't work

One of the primary reasons i decided to upgrade to KDE 4.10 was a new indexer they used. I was quite happy with 4.9 though.

The search by content is not giving me any result despite my files are indexed

Looking to upgrade, a bit worried now, as I use nepomuk's services a lot. No response at all? Via KRunner? I've been using nepoogle recently. Have u tried that?

Comment

I usually used KRunner all the time in KDE 4.9. Now i installed Recoll.

Will try nepoogle if you say. But since it's an alpha release, i'm quite confident Nepomuk will outperform in the near future

Comment

Just remember that KDE 4.10 is not production ready and neither is 13.04. Things like this will happen and are usually fixed in a few days when a new set of updates stream in.

I haven't upgraded to KDE 4.10 but usually when there is a major upgrade (4.x -> 4.x+1), Nepomuk goes all haywire. Usually your cache and database etc get all messed up. The best trick is to delete all old database files and let it rebuild overnight. Once its rebuilt it should work again.

If you delete the database you will lose all your tags, ratings and other semantic information which is highly irritating. You could of course just force a re-index with
        Code:
        nepomukindexer /path/to/file #Or some derivation of this
        . So try the force re-index and if that doesn't work just delete the current built database

http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk has a few nifty tips and is worth a quick read.

By the way, the new indexer looks very promising. Should solve many users complaint with Strigi. Hopefully people will now start to like Nepomuk rather than fight continuously with it.

Comment

Deleted the folder apps/nepomuk. unchecked all folders for indexing then re enabled them. It reindexed my folders but still no search by content

Comment

The new Strigi-less Nepomuk in 4.10 is in it's very early and experimental stages. It's indexers are very limited in number and capabilities. You can read about it here.
            Computers don't make mistakes. They only execute them.

Comment

Switched back to Kubuntu 12.10 for now as i needed this search by content for my exam revision. It's very handy.

The new nepomuk doesn't index the contents of the files at first run. The indexing is finished in about 5 minutes whereas in Kubuntu 12.10, indexing at first takes about 2hrs. It has been able to index 1 file by content tho. All it needed to do was to force indexing all files at first run. Seems it uses some other algorithm to decide which file to index and when.

Will try the new indexer again after my exam would be over

Comment

I've just managed to get the recollrunner plugin working in Kubuntu 12.10. It took a bit of effort to figure it all out so I wrote out the steps in a blog post. It works very nicely once you have it up and running, it indexes all the contents of files and runs really fast.

Comment

Working...
                X