Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couldn't install multiarch packages like ia32-libs-multiarch, wine1.6-i386, ... etc

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couldn't install multiarch packages like ia32-libs-multiarch, wine1.6-i386, ... etc

Hi forum,

Even in a fresh Kubuntu 12.10 amd64 live session, I couldn't install multiarch packages.
    This is what I have done:

sudo su -
    dpkg --add-architecture i386
    apt-get update
    apt-get install gcc-4.7-multilib gcc-multilib
    apt-get install ia32-libs ia32-libs-multiarch

When installing ia32-libs-multiarch, it would tell me that a lot i386 packages like libc:i386 were needed. If I tried to install libc:i386, it would ask for more i386 packages, just like the whole i386 system was needed to be installed if I want multiarch support.

What I need actually is to install wine1.6, which depends on wine1.6-i386, which depends on a lot of i386 packages too.

This problem has bothered me for a few weeks. Would anyone please help me with this? Thanks a lot.

Yes, the wine packaging requires pretty much all the ia32 libs, which might prove problematic on a live session.

You might be able to reduce the number of them by trying it like so:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -install --no-install-recommends wine1.6
    This could reduce the number of packages depending on how it is packaged, but at the cost of things not working.

I already have a ton of the 32bit libraries installed (via skype), but trying to install wine (13.10 here - ymmv) using the above reduced the number from 64 packages to 33, as well as going from 128mb of downloads and 467mb of disk space down to 48mb download and 244mb disk space. These are what might be the real issue running wine in a live session, unless you have gobs of ram or set up a usb stick to be able to save data.

Comment

Working...
    X