Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ktorrent exceeding user set limits. Have you noticed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ktorrent exceeding user set limits. Have you noticed?

I have caught KTorrent on more than one occasion UPLOADING for extended periodes of time, at rates far exceeding my set limits. I use the squeduler to set 'Unlimited' between 2 and 11 AM when I've got unlimited bandwidth from my ISP. But otherwise, I set it much lower because of my usage CAP. For the most part, KTorrent respects these limits, but on occasion, I've caught it basically putting out unlimited uploading when it isn't suppose to. When it's happenning, there is nothing in the Ktorrent display to indicate that it is going beyond set limits. But I have seperate applications monitoring network traffic, and it clearly shows up there. No other prog open. Stops & starts with Ktorrent.

Do some poeple have backdoors into KTorrent to control bandwidth? I can think of NO other explanation for this behavior. Has anyone noticed this behavior as well?

I'll try it out and see if I can reproduce what you're experiencing. What version of KTorrent are you running? Also do the speed graphs from within KTorrent show a lower upload speed than what's actually happening?
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Yeah, I filed a bug about this long ago. It only happens with magnet links, and it only happened to me when I used Rekonq. Just out of curiosity, what internet browser are you using??

I just searched the KDE bug page and there have been half a dozen other bugs filed about this same issue...the developer doesnt seem to care. Heres my bug:
      https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=309091

Vote it up or add a comment if you want to.

This problem doesnt seem to happen when I use Opera or when I use a torrent file instead of the magnet link so those may be ways around this problem for you.

Comment

Thx for the replies...

dequire:
        - Ktorrent V. 4.2.1 in KDE 4.10.2 running on Kubuntu 12.10. But I've noticed it before these versions as well.
        - I've got Rekonq & Chromium but 99.9% of the time it's Firefox.
        - KTorrent displays show NO indication of additional bandwidth consumption. NONE.

whatthefunk:
        - Thx for the bug link. I will vote it up.
        - I don't even know what's a 'magnet link'. I've seen the name but never read, setup or used it. Magnet Generator plugin is NOT activated.

Next time I catch it, I'm going to test if it affects one specific upload or all at the same time. It could be a bug BUT, I've watch its progress; it's like I got something it wants so it keeps comming back untill its got it all. Starts with a couple of test spikes to test available bandwidth, then starts a slow ramp up. I've watch it reach 600 to 800Kbps on the upstream and stay there until I stopped all torrents.

Comment

created ' https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=318514 ' bug report since whatthefunks' bug didn't really match this one.

Comment

I have never seen this behavior , but I have never tryed to set it to unlimited upload some time and not others ,,,,,,I always use the right click the Ktorrent icon in the system tray > set maximum upload speed, and be done with it.

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

All I can add at this point, since I haven't had time to test yet, is that it's well known that any version of KTorrent prior to 4.3.x has had problems with magnet links. I would make sure I was on 4.3.1 and retest. I have a feeling your bug might just go away.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
              X