X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X Restarts at Odd Times

Hello again.

I recently installed the most recent version of Kubuntu on my desktop. It works fine most of the time, but on occasions, the X Windowing system will cut out. I'll briefly see console messages about things like the chron daemon stopping or starting, and then X will restart, and I'll be back at the login screen. I've always been able to log back on without issue so far; once I do, I'll see desktop messages about problems mounting some of my hard drives, but since I can access them just fine, I assume the problem is just that KDE is trying to mount drives that are still mounted from before X gave up. I've also had an issue where Muon would refuse to ask me for a password after X surrendered and I logged back in; trying to install new software would result in Muon skipping straight to saying "No permission provided" without asking for permission first. Since restarting the computer fixes the problem, it's not a major issue.

I recall having similar troubles with a different KDE installation in the past on an AMD laptop, although my current processor is Intel. My graphics card is an NVidia GF119 [GeForce GT 520] using the nouveau kernel module, if that helps.

In normal use, it seems to happen most frequently when I rapidly drag my mouse to the bottom-left corner of the screen, where I have the panel with my desktop pager and application launcher menu. However, it doesn't happen reliably enough for me to be sure what exactly leads to the problem.

The only time it consistently happens is when I use the Android Developer Tools Build v21.1.0-569685 to launch an Android emulator; the progress bar for starting the emulator will fill to about 40%, and then X will quit. However, since it happens when doing other things with KDE, I think the root of the problem lay outside Android's development kit.

Thank you for your time.

I tried installing the nvidia-current-updates package today, and I don't get the problem with X failing when I try to run the Android emulator anymore. I'll mark this thread as solved for now, and just start a new one if I keep having these problems in other instances.

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Working...
    X