X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE ripping apps crash on launch

Hi All

I've started ripping all my CDs to mp3 so I can play them on a USB stick in the car. I was ripping with K3b.

After the first day running without an issue, K3b stopped seeing the CDDB listings. Following a reboot it now crashes on load.So does Soundkonverter, and also Audex .

On the other hand, ripoff, a GTK app "just works".

I launched both K3b and audex via the terminal and attached is a text file of the output. It seems that whilst the audex message is more verbose in that it lists the tracks it has failed to acknowledge the cause of both crashing is fundamentally the same. Any clues how I can fix this please, short of renaming the kde config file?

Many thanks

Ian
    Attached Files

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
    Hi All

I've started ripping all my CDs to mp3 so I can play them on a USB stick in the car. I was ripping with K3b.

After the first day running without an issue, K3b stopped seeing the CDDB listings. Following a reboot it now crashes on load.So does Soundkonverter, and also Audex .

On the other hand, ripoff, a GTK app "just works".

I launched both K3b and audex via the terminal and attached is a text file of the output. It seems that whilst the audex message is more verbose in that it lists the tracks it has failed to acknowledge the cause of both crashing is fundamentally the same. Any clues how I can fix this please, short of renaming the kde config file?

Many thanks

Ian
    That's odd since I've always found K3B to be in a class of its own when it comes to ripping and burning. What KDE version are you using? Any PPAs? System up to date?

Comment

Thanks for the response

I'm using 12.10 with KDE 4.10.1 with system fully up to date. I agree on K3b. It was doing a great job until going pear-shaped yesterday and the fact that the other kde-centric ripping applications seem to crash in the same way, and the fact a gtk-based application works, suggests to me it's a KDE issue, rather than application-specific.

Non-standard repos

webupd8team (java)
      Spotify
      dropbox
      google earth
      backports ppa
      sunab ppa (kdenlive)
      kubuntu-ppa (up to date kde)

Thanks for the help

Comment

And what about Dolphin?

I think it's the first time since I bought this computer a year ago but I decided to put an audio CD in it and k3b works here, including getting the CDDB listings...
        My system is up to date, including the backports.

Comment

Dolphin (and in fact everything else) seemed to work fine.

I found that ripoff was not as much of a success as I thought it would be as the car saw all the tracks in alphabetical order, rather than as per the album. Amongst them were Sergeant Pepper and Abbey Road and changing the order represents total destruction of the albums

I have solved it by renaming the /home/.kde/share/config folder and allowing a re-spawn. Don't know what happened in the first place but K3b is now working fine.

Thanks for the input folks

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
            Dolphin (and in fact everything else) seemed to work fine.

I found that ripoff was not as much of a success as I thought it would be as the car saw all the tracks in alphabetical order, rather than as per the album. Amongst them were Sergeant Pepper and Abbey Road and changing the order represents total destruction of the albums

I have solved it by renaming the /home/.kde/share/config folder and allowing a re-spawn. Don't know what happened in the first place but K3b is now working fine.

Thanks for the input folks
            This is the solution to 90% of KDE issues.

Comment

Working...
            X