This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Java installation on Chromium

How can I install java on Kubuntu 12.10 64bit? I'm running chromium.

Cheers

Originally posted by Claws View Post
    How can I install java on Kubuntu 12.10 64bit? I'm running chromium.

Cheers
    Java is already installed. Do you mean java applets in the browser? Do you want Oracle Java? Be a little more specific.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
      Java is already installed. Do you mean java applets in the browser? Do you want Oracle Java? Be a little more specific.
      Oracle Java, to play some web games.

I finally managed to get a version of Oracle Java installed, but the website still doesn't like it (It says it is out of date, which is probably is). Will running sudo apt-get update fix this? If not, is there any way I can?

Cheers

Comment

I don't use Chromium - does it have an addon with equivalent functionality to NoScript for Firefox?

If it doesn't, I honestly wouldn't install Oracle's Java browser plugin, as without being able to whitelist known-safe websites, it's a gaping security hole in your system. There are simply too many exploits out there that target it, it would only be a matter of time before something bad happened.

I'd advise testing to see if the web games you want to play will work with the IcedTea Java plugin instead, as it has a better security record (hell, a jail made out of wet spaghetti would have a better security record than Oracle's Java plugin)... but personally I'd still want NoScript (or equivalent) whitelisting just in case.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by Claws View Post
          Oracle Java, to play some web games.

I finally managed to get a version of Oracle Java installed, but the website still doesn't like it (It says it is out of date, which is probably is). Will running sudo apt-get update fix this? If not, is there any way I can?

Cheers
          Ok, this is normal. Chrome/chromium and Firefox both try protect you by blocking java versions with known exploits (which is all of them 95%+ of the time.) Solution is visit chrome://plugins/ from there just manage your java settings. You can tell it to not warn you/block you.

Comment

Ah well, uninstalled Java. Will stick to Windows for my games.

Comment

Working...
            X